cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa5585-40 not supported in lms 3.2

bob brennan
Level 1
Level 1

we just purchased 2 asa 5585-40's and tried to add them to our lms 3.2 system and we were informed by cisco tac that they were not supported in lms 3.2. since we don't having funding for an upgrade, i was wondering if anyone knew of a work around within lms that could allow me to add the devices so i can use lms for syslog and to fetch the firewall configs on a regular basis, instead of having to setup a seperate syslog server and having to tftp the config's everytime i make a change. if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

3 Replies 3

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bob,

I have moved this thread to the Network Management section so, you could get help from the experts in lms.

-Kureli

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LMS 3.2 is likely not going to add support for that model since that version of LMS is end of sales. At best, LMS support for firewalls is limited. Add to that the fact that firewall logs are typically among the most verbose of any network device and it makes LMS's utility even less for ASAs.

Have you considered setting up a simple RANCID installation on a Linux host for managing your config files? RANCID and Linux are free to acquire and it's not too difficult to set it up to poll your devices every hour and archive the configs and alert you to diffs - it will even e-mail you with the diff output. You could even send your syslogs to the same server (thought you'd want to archive them to keep from filling up your file system).

Hope this helps.

thanks for your help, i will give rancid a try. i love the band.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: