cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM upgrade

manea.ctin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have a question. I have an ASA 5510 with IOS 8.4 and i want to use ASDM from now on. The problem is that on my flash i have ASDM 6.4 and i saw on the cisco website that the ASDM recommended version to run with IOS 8.4 is 7.1. How can i get the new version of ASDM? Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

3 Replies 3

John LaFrance
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Constantin,

First, you will need to download the desired ASDM version from Cisco, such as "asdm-713.bin". Then, there are two ways to add the new ASDM onto your ASA.

Option 1) Log into your ASA using your current ASDM. From the Tools menu, choose "Upgrade Software from Local Computer". In the Image to Upload menu, choose ASDM, then browse to the file and click "Upload Image". The ASDM will prompt you to set this new image as the default.

Option 2) Using the ASA command line, copy the ASDM image from a FTP/TFTP server onto your ASA flash. Then, set your ASA to use the new ASDM using the command "asdm image disk0:/asdm-713.bin", using whatever storage area in place of "disk0:".

Good luck!

manea.ctin
Level 1
Level 1

Well i've tried to download ASDM from the CISCO website but it said that i cannot do that. I do not have the right or something (that was after i logged in). This is the real problem...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Your cisco.com userid needs to be associated with a service contract that includes coverages for an ASA in order to be eligible to download ASDM.

Once you do that, John's instructions above apply.

That said, there's not much (if any) benefit from running a newer ASDM version on the older ASA software. (And BTW, ASA software is not the same as IOS.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: