cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Cisco Prime Infrastructure - Implementation and Deployment

Lisa Latour
Level 6
Level 6

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation.

This Ask The expert Session will cover questions spanning Cisco Prime Infrastructure on Implementation and Deployment on Wired and Wireless. This will be more specific to Customer’s and Partners questions product covering PI on configuration, Features and Menu, Network Monitoring, Maps, Implementation, High Availability and Maintenance and t/s parts.

Monday, February 2nd, 2015 to Friday, February 13th, 2015

Dhiresh Yadav is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS)  handling supporting Wireless and Network Management based Cisco products and is based in Bangalore. His areas of expertise include Cisco Prime Infrastructure and Cisco Wireless products. He has over 7 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds CCNP (RS) and CCIE (DC) certifications.

Afroz Ahmad is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS)  handling supporting Wireless and Network Management based Cisco products and is based in Bangalore. His areas of expertise include Cisco NMS products like Prime Infrastructure, LMS, IP SLA and SNMP etc. He has over 7 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds CCNP (RS),CCIE (DC), and SCJP (Sun Certified Java Professional )

Vinod Kumar Arya is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS)  handling supporting Wireless and Network Management based Cisco products and is based in Bangalore. His areas of expertise include Cisco NMS products like Prime Infrastructure, LMS, IP SLA and SNMP etc. He has over 8 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds VCP 5 and RHCE certifications.

** Remember to use the rating system to let the experts know you have received an adequate response.**

Because of the volume expected during this event, the experts might not be able to answer every question. Remember that you can continue the conversation in the Network Infrastructure community, > Network Management, shortly after the event. This event lasts through February 13th 2015. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and those of other Cisco Support Community members.

57 Replies 57

Hello Guys

For which equipments(models) I can configure Netflow. I have some 1841 and I can't collect information about traffic.

Regards

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

Thanks for joining us.

1841 should just work fine for net flow . Hope you have a valid "PI Assurance license" installed on the server.

"PI Assurance license" is required for "net-flow"  feature

Devices supporting Netflow in PI ::

• 1400, 1600, 1700 & 1800
  • 2500, 2600 & 2800
  • 3600, 3700, 3750 & 3800
  • 4500 & 4700
  • AS5300 & 5800
  • 7200, 7300, 7400 & 7500
  • Catalyst 4500 ASCI
  • Catalyst 5000, 6500, & 7600 ASCI
  • ESR 10000 ASCI
  • GSR 12000 ASCI

Cisco IOS Software Release VersionSupported Cisco Hardware Platforms
11.1CA, 11.1CCCisco 7200 and 7500 series, RSP 7200 series
12.0Cisco 1720, 2600, 3600, 4500, 4700, AS5800 
RSP 7000 and 7200 series
uBR 7200 and 7500 series
RSM series
12.0T, 12.0SCisco 1720, 2600, 3600, 4500, 4700, AS5800 
RSP 7000 and 7200 series
uBR 7200 and 7500 series
RSM series, MGX8800RPM series, and BPx8600 series
12.0(3)T, 12.0(3)SCisco 1720, 2600, 3600, 4500, 4700, AS5300, AS5800
RSP 7000 and 7200 series
uBR 7200 and 7500 series
RSM series, MGX8800RPM series, and BPx8650 series
12.0(4)TCisco 1400, 1600, 1720, 2500, 2600, 3600, 4500,
4700, AS5300, AS5800
RSP 7000 and 7200 series
uBR 7200 and 7500 series
RSM series, MGX8800RPM series, and BPx8650 series
12.0(4)XECisco 7100 series
12.0(6)SCisco 12000 series

NetFlow is also supported by these devices Cisco 800, 1700, 1800, 2800, 3800, 6500, 7300, 7600, 10000, CRS-1 and these Catalyst series switches: 45xx, 55xx, 6xxx.

NetFlow export is also supported on other Cisco switches when using a NetFlow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II and the Route Switch Module (RSM), or Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC). However, check whether version 5 is supported, as most switches export version 7 by default.

You can check the below steps to diagnose the issue::

To verify that NetFlow is exported from a device to PI, follow the steps below:
1)    Browse to Administration > Data Sources page. Check the value in column ‘Last Active Time’  for the ‘Device Data Sources’ table. If the table is empty or  the value does not represent recent time, then

it is possible that the device is not exporting NetFlow or PI Assurance license is not applied / expired.

2)    Login to PI console ( via SSH) as root user and run the command:
                netstat –an | grep 9991 – Output of this should be like :  udp        0      0 :::9991         :::*

Check the firewall settings on PI server using the command: firewall -L

1)    Check the configuration on an IOS / IOS –XE device. Run the commands
a)    sh running-config | inc destination
1)    This should list the IP address of the PI SERVER ( along with other outputs if any)

b)    sh running-config | inc 9991
1)    This should list at least one entry.

c)    If the above are fine, then verify that the flow monitor, flow exporter and the flow records are correctly configured on the device.

Refer to the URLs below to configure NetFlow export.
http://preview.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2.0/user/guide/setup_monitor.html#wp1056427

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

tiwari20
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have faced this issue many times that my MSE becomes unreachable from the PI ? What can I do from PI side to fix or Troubleshoot this issue ?

Hi,

Thanks for putting this question as this situation is observed in many cases.If in a working PI/MSE setup , suddenly MSE becomes unreachable from the PI then From the PI perspective , as you asked in the question ,you cannot do much except having a look at the logs located at:

/opt/CSCOlumos/logs/ncs-0-0.log..in the PI.

We need to check most of the logs at MSE:

/opt/mse/logs/framework/apache/access_log

/opt/mse/logs/framework/apache/error_log

/opt/mse/logs/framework/servicemix.log

/opt/mse/logs/framework/mse-framework.log

and logs under locserver-0-0.log.

Hopefully all these logs should point you to the correct reason for that. If still cant figureout , then please open a TAC case for assistant.

Regards

Dhiresh

**Please rate helpful posts**

daniel.litwin
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to create a template for our lightweight APs to specify the primary controller name and management address.  I am brand new to creating templates in Prime 2.2.

I thought I would create just this single change template to familiarize myself with the process, but I am unsure how to do it.

Thanks.

Dannon

Hi Dannon,

Kindly refer the below link for Lightweight AP template creation:

Go to Configuration > Templates > Lightweight Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-0/user/guide/prime_infra_ug/create_temps.html#pgfId-1071632

I have attached a screen shot for reference.

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Daniel,

Thank you for joining this Ask the Expert event.

For configuring the devices we use Templates. Templates allow you to set fields that you can then apply to multiple devices without having to reenter the common information.

With PI 2.2 it is very simple on how to configure a Template for Lightweight AP to configure Controller Parameters.

To configure Controller related configuration choose Configure > Lightweight AP Configuration Templates > Add a new Template.

Name the Template and go to next Tab --> AP Parameters and configure the Controllers details. Save and select AP's to deploy.

Check below screenshot :

-Thanks

Vinod

***Encourages Contributors. RATE Them****

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

I have an evaluation version of PI installed and want to purchase the License. Which License I need to buy. Please let me know the available options and details on PI license I can use. I am little confused as I see many options and not sure what they mean. Please Help.

Thanks, Anshul

Hi,

Thanks for participating and putting this question.

Initially , PI will come with the evaluation license and after the expiry of this , it would need license.

As such , PI would need base license for activation if you have installed it on vmware using the ova file.If you have purchased PI appliance , you need not to have this license.

On top of this , you might add licenses for the features you need on the PI. It might differ with different PI versions as feature offered vary. Have a look at the ordering and licensing guide of the concerned PI version for more information.

Regards

Dhiresh

Hi Anshul,

Adding to Dhiresh response.

There are different type of license in PI  ( Base License , Life cycle license , Assurance License  etc..)

For E.g::

L-PI2X-BASE       Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.x Base License

L-PI2X-LF-100     Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.x - Lifecycle - 100 Device License

L-PI2X-AS-100     Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.x - Assurance - 100 Device License

L-PI2X-CM-100     Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.x - Compliance - 100 Device License

Base License: Enables using a Cisco Prime Infrastructure management node (physical or virtual appliance). Asingle Base license is required for each management node and is a prerequisite for adding Cisco Prime Infrastructure feature licenses (Lifecycle and Assurance).

Lifecycle License: Provides access to the Lifecycle feature set, which includes device configuration management, software image management, basic health and performance monitoring, fault management, troubleshooting, and network client visibility. The Lifecycle license is based on the number of managed devices

Assurance License: Provides access to the Assurance feature set, which provides end-to-end network visibility of application and service performance to help ensure end-user quality of experience. The Assurance feature set also provides the ability to manage and aggregate data and views across multiple Cisco Prime Network Analysis Modules (NAMs). The Assurance license is based on the number of managed NetFlow-enabled interfaces.

Compliance License: Provides access to regulatory compliance reports based on common government and industry regulatory standards. The following standards are currently supported: PCI, HIPAA, CIS, DHS, DISA, NSA, SANS, SOX, ISO17799, and Cisco SAFE.

IMP ****with Prime infrastructure 2.2  , you can manage your data center devices as well.

UCS B Series and  UCS C series

•License Type  required  PI-US

How licensing work in Prime Infrastructure 2.2 ::

PI 2.2 licensing SKU’s are no longer NODE locked to PID and Serial, but order ability for those licenses has yet to be enabled. Existing licenses for prior SKU’s can be used to enable PI 2.2.

If the old license are not available, have the licensing agent you are working with generate new licenses using PI 2.0 SKU’s with a PID of PRIME-NCS-APL  or PRIME-NCS-VAPL and a serial number of ANY:ANY since PI 2.2 will not display PID and Serial information via the WEBUI.

hope the above information will help.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Joe_george
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

This is a great Event to know about Cisco's Products.

I have an Old PI and plan to migrate. We need some admin possibilities like LMS used to have for jobs approval so that our help desk users cannot deploy the jobs on their own? Does PI 2.2 has that capability?

Joe

Joe,

Thank you for joining this Ask the expert event.

The Job Approval feature was introduced with Prime Infrastructure version 2.0, works along with job manager and is disabled by default.

User can enable the feature in Job Approval Settings page –

Administration -> System Settings -> Job Approval Settings

Only root, admin and super users have the access to Job approval feature. It is available on PI 2.2 as well.

-Thanks

Vinod 

**Encourage Contributors. Rate Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Fahadf
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

i am using Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1.0 and trying to integrate third party devices. SNMPV3 authentication is successful and i am receiving alarms and notifications as well. However whenever any status of the port changes (port up or down) then i get a notification saying "Port null (Description not available) is up on device *IP*".

Can you please guide how can i solve this issue.

Thanks in advance. 

Cheers!

Fahad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco