Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Cisco Prime Network Registrar

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

With Pete Newcomb& Jim Brown 

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. Learn from experts Peter Newcomb and Jim Brown about the newest release of  Cisco Prime Network Registrar, Cisco's industry leading solution for integrated DNS, DHCP and  IP address management (IPAM) services  for both IPv4 and IPv6. Ask Pete and Jim about upgrade and migration issues to help you plan your migration from Solaris to Linux and from older versions of Cisco Network Registrar to the new Cisco Prime Network Registrar. Learn about the product's dual stack support, failover, high availability, extensions and other related DHCP, DNS, and IPAM functionality. New IP address management, componentized licensing, virtualization, and Cisco UCS C-series appliances make this the easiest to implement and most cost effective version of Network Registrar yet. Take this opportunity to ask questions and learn how your company and network can benefit! 

Pete Newcomb is a technical marketing engineer in Cisco's Network Management and Technology Group and has over 30 years of experience in the voice and data communications industry, including sales support and product engineering support with several companies. His design and development background includes wireless services, switching, routing, TCP/IP, Frame Relay, X.25, telephony services, risk management, and network security. 

Jim Brown is a customer support  engineer in Cisco's Network Management and Technology Group. He has over 35 years of experience in development engineering and customer service, real-time and fault tolerant operating systems, and network management for the telecommunications and software industries. For the last 14 years he has been with the Network Registrar Development Team, interfacing with Customer Service and directly with customers in problem solving.

Remember to use the rating system to let Pete and Jim know if you have received an adequate response.  

Pete and Jim might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Infrastructure sub-community Network Management forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 20th, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

19 Replies 19

Thank you very much for your answer.

Jessica Deaken
Level 1
Level 1

Peter,

thanks for the excellent response. I have another question: Can I upgrade from earlier versions of CNR? I would like to know if there is documentation on the Community that can provide more details.

Thank you.

Hi Jessica,

We appreciate your interest... and as Peter was not available today I'll jump in with an answer here...

Yes! You can upgrade from earlier versions to the latest CNR 8.x versions but depending on your current version, and what functions in that version you rely on, the answer to what is the best path up to the current latest version can vary... I would suggest you open a TAC case requesting escalation for direct engineering upgrade assisitance to help you come up with a targeted pln for your upgrade...

PS. Please don't be discouraged if you are coming from a much older CNR version as I recently worked with a CNR customer upgrading CNR 3.5 (circa 1999) using Both DHCP and DNS on the same server to CNR 7.x and all went smoothly with granted 4 versions upgrades to get to the final destination...

Jim,

Thanks for jumping in on this. I got swamped the last few days…

Hi Guys,
I got a question from the customer regarding to the CPNR DHCP license usage. Currently, their DHCP license usage is almost reach the maximum license count. What will be the impact if they don't buy the additional license? Will the DHCP services stopped?

Thanks,
Rakhmad
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: