Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: DeepDive Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cisco Support COmmunity Expert Webcast Series DEEP DIVE in-depth

Based from the Deep-Dive series webcast, Cisco Expert Vishal Mehta will be available for an Ask the Expert discussion focused on the advantages of Nexus 1000v Solution across spectrum of technologies and how it can be leveraged to enhance your Data Center Virtual Infrastructure to meet the next-generation goals.

Ask your Questions from February 12 through March 4, 2015

Vishal Mehta is a Technical Marketing Engineer with Cisco's Data Center Competitive Insights Team based in San Jose, California. Previously he was working as the customer support engineer for Cisco’s Data Center Server Virtualization Technical Assistance Center (TAC) team for the past 3 years with a primary focus on data center technologies such as Cisco Nexus® 5000, Cisco UCS, Cisco Nexus 1000V, and virtualization. He presented at Cisco Live in Orlando 2013, Milan 2014, and San Francisco 2014 (BRKCOM-3003, BRKDCT-3444, and LABDCT-2333). He holds a master’s degree from Rutgers University in Electrical and Computer Engineering and has CCIE® certification (# 37139) in Routing/Switching, Service Provider & Data Center

Part 1: Conquered Territory: Multi-Hypervisor – February 12, 2015
This session will discuss and compare about Nexus 1000v deployments on VMware, Hyper-V and Openstack-KVM hypervisors.

Part 2: Meet the 1000v Family: The Secret of Unity – February 17, 2015
This session will discuss vPath: The Secret behind uniting Virtual Network Services provided by ASA 1000v, VSG, vWAAS, Nexus 1000v, vNAM.

Part 3: Game Changer: Silver Lining in the Cloud – February 24, 2015
The core of this session will go through Nexus 1000v capabilities in ACI and ICF.

Find other  https://supportforums.cisco.com/expert-corner/knowledge-sharing.

**Ratings Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

41 Replies 41

Hello Tenaro,

Instead of complete buildup from scratch. Customer can do easy trick to avoid extra configuration and license steps. 

1. Power-off existing secondary N1kv VSM VM and remove it from inventory.

2. Deploy new secondary N1kv VSM VM and sync it with existing primary N1kv VSM

3. Do switch-over from Primary VSM to newly created secondary VSM (this will become primary now)

4. Now power-off and remove the old VSM VM (which was original N1kv Primary)

5. Create new secondary N1kv VSM and sync it with "new" primary VSM

By using above method, you wont have to worry about Configuration and Licensing porting.

Regarding your other question for unused PAK, i think there is some registration issue of PAK with N1k's host id. I highly recommend to open TAC case with Nexus 1000v Licensing team to look into the issue. 

Thanks,

Vishal

Cool trick! Thank you!

As you are so resourceful, I do have two more questions about licensing:

- If licensing is based on CPU sockets on each VEM, does it mean that if I apply 8 licenses to VSM and then try to add 4 ESXi hosts (each running on B200M3 with two CPUs) there will be no more available licenses? From licensing perspective, is there any difference if I use one VSM (standalone) or two (active-standby), i.e. will I need more licenses just because I'm using HA for VSM part?

- What is the proper way to request new licenses if both VSM VMs were destroyed during host (ESXi) upgrade? What data do I have to provide in such case? I assume TAC case is the way to go but would like to double check this with you.

Thanks a million,

Tenaro

Are the infrastructure components in Cisco Intercloud Fabric deployed in the enterprise or public cloud?

Hello Fernando,

Below is quick summary of deployment location for ICF infrastructure components:

The Intercloud Fabric Director (ICF-D) and Intercloud Fabric Extender (ICX) virtual machines are deployed in the enterprise data center (private cloud)

The Intercloud Fabric Switch (ICS)  is a virtual machine that will run in the provider cloud.

The Intercloud Fabric Provider Platform (ICFPP) is deployed in the provider cloud.

Thanks,

Vishal

Pavel Nosov
Level 1
Level 1

Can VACS work with either Nexus 1000V or AVS?

Hello Pavel,

AVS is the Application-centric Virtual Switch, specific for ACI environments.

VACS is not intended for ACI or to run on a network in ACI fabric mode.

Only Nexus 1000V is the virtual switch version included with VACS.

Thanks,

Vishal

hello Vishal, 

How many port-profiles needed for ASAv ?

Hello Francisco,

ASAv will require the following port-profiles for its interfaces:

1. Inside interface (g0/0)

2. Outside interface (g0/1)

3. Failover interface (g0/2)

4. Management interface (m0/0)

Thanks,

Vishal

Is there specific order for vPath service chaining? 

Hi Francisco,

There is no set-order that needs to be followed for chaining up virtual service-nodes such as ASAv, VSG, Load-balancer... so on

The service chaining is flexible and is usually defined on basis of traffic flow logic.

For examples:

It is better to do first intra-segment security (VSG) than intra-segment firewall (ASAv).

More appropriate to have VM traffic go through first VSG and depending security compliance it be allowed to use load-balancing services by Citrix Netscaler.

Thanks,
Vishal

One more question...  Can I move an entire application tier using Intercloud Fabric?

Hi Francisco,

The unit of operation for Intercloud Fabric is currently a Virtual Machine, so only VM can be moved across the cloud using ICF.

However, there are northbound APIs available from Intercloud Fabric Director to enable integration with cloud management tools that can have application level visibility.

Thanks,

Vishal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: