cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad Power Supplies

RJ Rodriguez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a stack of 5) 3750 X switches and they have 2) 1100WAC power supplies per switch attached. I have 2 power supplies that are showing bad on lets say switch 2A and 3A. I am trying to find out ...1. Is it ok to pull the bad power supplies out of the switches while they are still connected? 2. If the power supplies show status as "No Input Power"  and "Sys Pwr Bad" at this point are they doing anything that would cause any issue to the switches in production if they are removed?

Thank you, for your help. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

Here is an excerpt from the 3750x config guide, you should be able to just pull the failed power supplies and replace them while the switches are up. Also, if the power supplies did fail its probably better to remove them entirely until you replace them.

The power supply is hot-swappable. In some configurations, such as full PoE+ or power sharing mode, removing a power supply causes powered devices to shut down until the power budget matches the input power of a single power supply. To minimize network interruption, hot swap the power supply under these circumstances:

The switch is connected to an XPS 2200 and sufficient power is available.

The switch is in StackPower mode and sufficient power is available (Catalyst 3750-X only).

The switch is powered by other switches in a power stack, and no active backup is in progress.

For the switch commands for displaying the available power budget, see the Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Software Configuration Guide.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

Here is an excerpt from the 3750x config guide, you should be able to just pull the failed power supplies and replace them while the switches are up. Also, if the power supplies did fail its probably better to remove them entirely until you replace them.

The power supply is hot-swappable. In some configurations, such as full PoE+ or power sharing mode, removing a power supply causes powered devices to shut down until the power budget matches the input power of a single power supply. To minimize network interruption, hot swap the power supply under these circumstances:

The switch is connected to an XPS 2200 and sufficient power is available.

The switch is in StackPower mode and sufficient power is available (Catalyst 3750-X only).

The switch is powered by other switches in a power stack, and no active backup is in progress.

For the switch commands for displaying the available power budget, see the Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Software Configuration Guide.

Ok....Thank you for that....I did read that before, but I wasn't sure if that bad power supply in that state is even passing power at all, or if it has already failed over to the other power supply.

Thanks

What IOS version are you running?
There are several known IOS bugs involving 3560E/X & 3750E/X power supplies.

Can you also post the complete output to the following commands: 

1.  sh logs; 

2.  sh version; 

3.  sh env al; and

4.  sh inventory

Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

I am attaching the information requested....

Thank you.

Output is showing that there are 2 power supplies that are not getting any input power.

Interesting.....I will go and check the power connections again, and reseat the power supplies.