cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth and capacity management tool

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

I am looking for a good tool what is capable to handle the invetorying of various circtuits with details like capacity/ckt id and other details as well - of course these needs to be added manually. And also it can handle the capacity management as well like if we have a 10M line and we give for example 2M for some purpose I want to reserve it and register the user details for what it is reserved and so on. So basically a tool possible web based tool what I can use for this kind of inventorying and capacity mgmt, xls is not working since we have couple hundreds connections.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For simple bandwidth utilization monitoring, you can easily use the free open sources products like Cacti and MRTG. Those combined with some planning on how how describe interfaces can go a long way.

If you want to move up to a more robust solution, you are looking at paid products. Something like the enterprise class PRTG from Paessler (based on MRTG) is one good one for just monitoring.

If you're using QOS extensively, a nice, albeit bit pricey, product is Live Action from Action Packed. It does a superb job at visualizing QOS across your enterprise and allowing you to identify and modify QOS policies in near real time. SolarWinds NPM plus Netflow Traffic Analyzer do this to a lesser extent.

Thanks, but I guess you misunderstood my request or I didn't explain it properly. Yes, for monitoring we already use Cacti thsi works fine. But at this time I am rather looking for tool which is designed for documentation purpose. So there is a 10M connection (MPLS, Internet or any) I want to register as many details about the line as possible like ckt id, location, NOC contact... Furthermore capacity management part is needed so what is reserved and for what. So if there is a request that 2M BW is required for some backup jobs I can register it in the tool and can add the details of the requester and purpose of the request. Also if I want to do some oversubscription (reservation) it needs to alert me. In this case I will have a good tool where all the ckt are there and also I will have information about the BW reservation. For a few ckt these details easyly can administered in an xls, but we have hundreds of ckt and they are managed by multiple people as well over the globe. So I really prefer a web based tool for it. I know it can be developed, but it takes time and resource, so I am looking for a ready to use tool - if there is any - no idea how other folks do it...

I see.

What you are asking for is what is commonly implemented in what is known as an Operational Support System (OSS).

I'm not aware of any off the shelf products for OSS. Those are typically custom-developed and usually interface with or include provisioning and billing systems in the provider backends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_support_system

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: