Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth test with ttcp

ieasm0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have internet connection on my cisco 2811 router, and i want to test bandwidth of this connection. Recenty i heared about ttcp tool. I tried it, but i saw bandwidth something about 7 Mb/s, but really connection greater then 20 Mb/s (must be 30 Mb/s). Mybe somebody know how i can test bandwidth? I can install server only from one side. PS: Also i tried to use ip sla ftp operation, but i achiev only 10 Mb/s, i can't continue test, becouse CPU was loaded on 95%

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are many, many variables that affect observed "bandwidth" (or, more accurately, throughput).

The 2811 by itself is more than capable of handling the full rate of your connection. See this report.

To properly test bandwidth definitively, you need to be in control of and able to isolate all of the variables - test equipment capabilities, local and remote LAN segment load, device under test, upstream devices, other systems currently using the same connection(s), etc.

An easier path is to just neasure your day to day performance (thus establishing a performance baseline) and monitor that for both performance (as observed by the polling and as perceived by your users) and availability. Something simple like a Nagios monitoring tool installation can be used for that. If performance is fine, no need to dig any deeper. If it isn't then start looking into the variables I mentioned above.

Hope this helps.