Views
Helpful
Replies

Best netflow collector?

dot1q
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I wanted to check in to see which netflow collectors everyone is using now in days. I have tested  Arbor SP and Scrutinizer. Arbor SP is awesome. Scrutinzer is ok. The only issue is Arbor is a little pricey. 

What is your experience with your current netflow collector (pros and cons)?

I did do a search on this subject, but found one dated back in 2012. 

Thanks in advance for reading my post 

8 Replies 8

Dmitri Popkov
Level 1
Level 1

Try to test PRTG with netflow sensor its pretty nice. Or Solarwind netflow analyzer.

I will give that a shot. 

Finally which product did you endup with.We are also in search of netflow tool which will help us to monitor the network data between sites including the packet details.

Hi

You can check the Cisco Prime features:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-0/administrator/guide/PIAdminBook/setup_tasks.html#pgfId-1056924

Also Solarwinds is very good tool.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Start with the PRTG free edition. If you like it (I do for simple tasks), you're done. If not, make a list of what else you want and then go from there.

SolarWinds is nice but a bit of a resource hog.

Prime Infrastructure is maddening to me. It still doesn't understand the Cisco ASA NSEL record format while all 3rd party products do.

DAVID YARASHUS
Level 5
Level 5

I've been using Stealthwatch 6.8 lately, and have been pretty happy with it.  The GUI isn't full of eye candy, but it gets the job done. Once you set up appropriate host groups, it's really easy to keep an eye on what's going on.  It's stronger on security-focused analysis than a lot of more network-focused platforms. I particularly like the way it stitches together flows that have gone through NAT or a (supported) proxy so that you can follow them through the network.

I agree that Stealthwatch is very powerful.

The interface though leaves a lot to be desired and the cost is "reassuringly expensive". It's priced on a "flows per second" model and for a siginificant deployment the cost can easily be in the 6 figure range (US$).

I did reach out to Stealthwatch on getting an evaluation, but they never responded. I do like Arbor Peakflow, but I find it more useful for DDoS type stuff and not really digging down into flows. 

Solarwinds just has too much going on. I feel it is more for an all in one monitoring tool (server monitoring, hardware monitoring, etc. All I want to see is flows.

I am looking into Nfsen and PRTG next.

Thanks everyone for taking the time on responding. I sincerely appreciate it.