Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP monitoring in Prime

oizetbegovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got Prime Infrastructure 2.1 and I'd like to monitor BGP sessions on Internet routers.

I've discovered one Internet router and enabled BGP protocol to be discovered. Router's BGP neighbor was discovered successfully and it can be seen under job discovery results.

I'd like Prime to create an alarm/notification when BGP neighbor goes down. I've performed tests and Prime didn't show anything.
Syslog message which shows BGP peer down is displayed under Syslog section in Prime.
Under Alarms there are no alarms connected to this.
Under Events there are no events connected to this.

Can Prime monitor BGP sessions out of the box or it has to be customized manually?
Can Prime somehow monitor BGP sessions whatsoever?

11 Replies 11

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Monitoring BGP process is not possible via Prime Infrastructure as far as I know

you need a different NMS ,which is for service provider like Prime provisioning

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

This is not really true, you can create Custom MIB polling policy and monitor BGP.

Hi,

can you please share some details?

I've also received info from TAC that this can't be done.

Thx.

As i mentioned before , you can monitor BGP in described way, but you can't connect any alarm or event. And also I expecting problem to add generic dashlet in to the custom dashboard. For now i don't have contract and can't ask TAC for adding generic dashlett and add alarms to custom MIB polling policies. So you can. go to Monitor- > monitoring policies

Clic ADD - select Custom MIB polling type of policy

select you devices, give a name to policy, select BGP4-MIB,  select table bgpPeerTable, select desired parameters, test . click save and activate. 

This is working but without dashlet, alarms and thresholds there is no sense :) 

Basically there is no use of importing BGP MIB at the moment.

Can you create policy and create custom dashlet as in manual :

Creating Generic Dashlets

You can add a generic dashlet anywhere; it displays the values for all polled devices.

Before You Begin

You must create at least one custom template (for example, see Creating Custom SNMP Polling Templates).

To create a generic dashlet:

Step 1 Choose Detail Dashboards > Device > Edit Dashboard > Add Dashlet(s).

Step 2 Find the Generic Dashlet and click Add. The Generic Dashlet appears on the dashboard.

Step 3 To edit the dashlet, hover your cursor over the Generic Dashlet and click Dashlet Options

Step 4 Rename the dashlet.

Step 5 From the Template Name drop-down list, choose the custom template that you created, then click Save.

I need an alert generated when BGP neighbor goes down. If I cannot get that, it's no use for me.

I need an alert generated when BGP neighbor goes down. If I cannot get that, it's no use for me.

Basically there is no use of importing BGP MIB at the moment.

Hi,

can you please share some details?

I've also received info from TAC that this can't be done.

Thx.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: