cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager Apps not accessible

sirbaughmf
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded to LMS 3.2 on Solaris 9 and when I open the CiscoWorks Portal, the Campus related portlets never load...CM Data Collection Summary, CM Discrepancies Portlet, and CM User Tracking Summary Portlet.   Also, when I select the Campus Home, it times out and never opens.  Please help!

43 Replies 43

I do not see the xmlwrite.lock file, however I looked through some of the bugs and noticed that one was associated with the cmptt tool. I did not run the cmptt tool, but I did run the rmeptt.sh tool on this particular server and not on the other two that are working fine. Could there be similar issues with rmptt.sh.

Marcie Sirbaugh

This e-mail is unclassified based on the definitions provided in E.O.

No, rmeptt would not cause problems with ANIServer.  And the bug with cmptt would actually keep ANIServer from starting at all.  Do you notice any hs_err* files on the system?

There are no hs_err* files. Would it be beneficial to reinit the ani database?

Marcie Sirbaugh

I haven't seen any evidence of database corruption, but you could certainly try it.  If after reinitializing, the problems return, I would encourage you to open a TAC service request, and mention this thread.  Some live analysis may be required to figure out exactly what is happening within ANI.

The last thing is, I believe there must be something related to the Validating License...in the ani.log the last entries are Validating License....over and over and over, never gets past that point. When I compare this to other servers the log passes Validating License and moves on to the next function. Seems that Data Collection is not finishing and User Tracking isn't running at all. When I run the cmexport l2topology command it never finishes, no export of topology.

Marcie Sirbaugh

No.  The validating license message will appear each time you refresh the Campus homepage (for example).  It doesn't point to any problem.  The symptoms mostly match a bug in which certain devices and configurations caused Data Collection to die with a NullPointerException.  However, I would have expected to see that exception in the log.

You can try upgrading to Campus 5.2.1 via Common Services > Software Center > Software Update.  That will fix one known bug, but will potentially open up two others (CSCtd49439 and CSCtg20882).  Both are fixed with patches from TAC, though.  If you do upgrade and get those bug fixes, that would rule out any known problems with DC failures leading to User Tracking not running.

Funny thing, I thought before I reinted the DB, I would go in and delete all device from campus. So I first did a pdterm ANIServer, on the admin portal, the portlets that were showing Loading...., changed to give me status. Then I restarted the ANIServer with pdexec and watched the log file. Seems that things started working as they should, I am able to get to all Campus apps, and topology services. Also the cmexport command completed. I am now going to delete all devices and rediscover to see if there was a device in there that was corrupted. Any of this sound familiar?

Marcie Sirbaugh

I know I've asked before, but if I reinit the DB, with the topology groups have to be recreated?

I reinit the ani db and ran a new data collection, I'm seeing the same issue.  However in the ani.log I am seeing an Unrecoverable database error.  Attached is a portion of the log.

How did you reinitialize this database?  After looking at some of these new errors, I highly suggest you move to 5.2.1, then get the aforementioned patches to fix the NullPointerException problems.  I really think that will set you straight.

I first did reinitdb.pl -restore, then I did the dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI.

I will try 5.2.1.

Marcie Sirbaugh

Both are identical, and both should have replaced the ANI database with an empty original version.  After upgrading to 5.2.1 and getting

the patches, reinit again with the dbRestoreOrig.pl script.

Will do...I have downloaded the upgrade 5.2.1 and I'm installing now, I went to put in a TAC and my contract is not found so I'm not able to get those patches...any workarounds for now until I get the contract thing worked out.

Marcie Sirbaugh

No, not for those two bugs.  They are fairly severe.

Now that I'm down the path to upgrading, can you get the patches to me????

Marcie Sirbaugh