cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Prime virtual appliances run on the free version of VMWare ESXi 5.1?

meridianapps
Level 1
Level 1

Our evaluation license for VMWare ESXi 5.1 will expire soon and I'm trying to determine which license I will need to purchase, if any, for hosting the Cisco Prime "small" virtual appliance. Specifically, I wonder if lack of SNMP support in the free version of ESXi 5.1 will be a show-stopper.

I really only need to manage 1 wireless lan controller and 1 MSE. I'm not sure if SNMP is critical for the communication between Prime and these two devices.

Thanks for any advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes it can run on the free version. The SNMP support your talking about is for the ESX host only and doesn't relate to the Prime Infrastructure guest.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

thefranmanatt
Level 1
Level 1

Hmmmmm  I just installed VMPlayer and a beta copy of NCS.  It installed fine but I am having SNMP problems to my controller, it does talk to my switch though.

CCNP - Wireless
CWNE #136

My SNMP problem was related to the NCS being in the same subnet/vlan as one of the controller's

dynamic interfaces.  It is up and working now using VMPlayer.

CCNP - Wireless
CWNE #136

meridianapps
Level 1
Level 1

Bump. We're still looking for the answer on this.

Yes it can run on the free version. The SNMP support your talking about is for the ESX host only and doesn't relate to the Prime Infrastructure guest.

Fantastic, thanks Scott!