Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't manage switch via web interface

Hassaan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing a whole network with 9000 switches. For the initial setup I tried to follow the guide here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/hardware/install/b_catalyst_9500_hig/b_catalyst_9500_hig_appendix_01001.html

However the default IP is not accessible (yes i did change my laptop to the same ip/subnet). I eventually created my own management IP, via the CLI, where the web interface does come up, but then the default username and password (cisco/webui/serial number) do not authenticate.

So I just ended up creating my own password for root user, also via CLI.

Now I can log in to the web interface but it only shows me monitoring information and no means to actually configure the switch.

Any suggestions why this might be happening?

I have quite a few switches to role out and it's starting to get tedious and time-consuming doing everything via CLI. Was hoping the web interface would help.

thanks

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2 steps very important here :

Do not enter any input over console leave as it is.

1. The bootup script runs the configuration wizard, which prompts you for basic configuration input: (Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: ). To configure Day0 settings using the Web UI, do not enter a response. Perform the following tasks instead:

Second : 

Connect one end of an ethernet cable to one of the uplink (non-management) ports on the active supervisor and the other end of the ethernet cable to the host (PC).

I have done some installation works as expected. ( what version it shipped with new one ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Yes I already tried without responding to the initial prompt to configure the switch. still doesn't work.

Even so, eventually i will want to manage the switches using my own IPs. Is there no way to do that using a web gui?

I am running Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.03

before i get into the conclusion?

1. New device switch on

2. connect the laptop as mentioned in the document.

3. wait for 3-5min, and what IP address PC get from DHCP?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes I have done all these steps. left my laptop on DHCP, but tried the static assignment just in case too.

In case I have somehow misunderstood what is meant by uplink port. I plugged my laptop ethernet port to a random port on the switch. but I also installed and uplink module with a copper gbic and connected that to my laptop. still nothing.

ipconfig command on my laptop just keeps giving an APIPA address no matter what i try, i.e. it doesnt find any dhcp server. release/renew on laptop doesn't help either. Definitely waited a full 5 mins as well.

any other suggestions please?