Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't reboot Access Point via SNMP

Hello everyone,

I'm possession of a WAP561 Access Point, and I've enabled SNMP on the device with Read/Write access from a specific management station on the network. I've confirmed that I've been able to write to other specific SNMP objects, like for instance 'sysLocation.0'.

The object I'm using to try to initiate a system reboot is 'CISCO-WLAN-ACCESS-POINT-MIB::i802SystemReboot', as referenced in the MIBS for the 1.1.0.4 firmware which is the current firmware of the unit.

When I'm trying to perform the snmpset command, I get the following error:

Reason: noCreation (That table does not support row creation or that object can not ever be created)
Failed object: CISCO-WLAN-ACCESS-POINT-MIB::i802SystemReboot

I've tried both the human readable format 'i802SystemReboot' and the translated OID ".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.104.1.1.2.1", which results in the same error message.

Seeing as I'm able to write other SNMP objects, I'm surprised that I'm getting this error. Seeing as the object is defined in the MIBS for the current firmware, I assume that this version of the firmware supports a system reboot via SNMP. I've tried this both via the writable version 2c snmp community "private" and with a version 3 user with read/write access.

Any pointers on why this fails?

9 Replies 9

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ideally IOS devices would need the following command for rebooting devices via SNMP :

snmp-server system-shutdown

Please check if this is configured already. If yes, and still it fails please enable a debug on AP (debug snmp packets) and share both AP and snmpset logs.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

From what I can gather, this device isn't an IOS device.

I've been combing through the options to see if there's anything even remotely resembling what you're mentioning, or if there's an option to enable a console to issue the command you've specified, to no avail.

Seeing as the MIBS mention the i802SystemReboot object, one would assume that it could be triggered to initiate a system reboot, but that might be a false assumption.

I've gone through all the public available documentation to either confirm or disprove this assumption but I'm hitting a brick wall, and I have no other means to do so, so any further help would be greatly appreciated.

T0 be honest I did not found this OID in cisco's Mib's implementation : i802SystemReboot.

This OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.104.1.1.2.1 corresponds to :

otherEnterprises OBJECT-TYPE
	-- FROM	CISCO-SMI
	DESCRIPTION    "otherEnterprises provides a root object identifier
        from which mibs produced by other companies may be
        placed.  mibs produced by other enterprises are
        typicially implemented with the object identifiers
        as defined in the mib, but if the mib is deemed to
        be uncontrolled, we may reroot the mib at this
        subtree in order to have a controlled version."

So it is not relevant to what you're rebooting a device.

I doubt the capability of this device to be able to get rebooted via SNMP. From the list of MIBs this device supports, it seems it is missing following MIB, which is required to reboot : OLD-CISCO-TS-MIB and following OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.9. Check this document for details on IOS device reboot via snmp.

The OID you mentioned i802SystemReboot seems to be from DLINK-WLAN-LEGACY-ACCESS-POINT-MIB which is not Cisco supported.

But, as you want to have a capability to reboot your AP remotely and one possibility i could think of is if you power your device via PoE from another switch, you can shutdown the interface which will turn the device off.

I think you can change admin status of the interface via SNMP which indirectly performs task of shutting down AP and turns it on when you turn Interface admin up.

Hope it helps.

-Thanks

Vinod

I found the collection of MIBS from the Cisco support site for my specific device and firmware version here.

Then I placed the extracted MIBS in ~/.snmp/mibs and used snmptranslate using the following syntax:

snmptranslate -m +CISCO-WLAN-ACCESS-POINT-MIB -IR -On i802SystemReboot

The SNMP object "i802SystemReboot" is found in the MIB file ciscosbWLANAP.my, which by the name itself implies that the objects are for Cisco based WLAN AP's.

i802SystemReboot OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX          INTEGER { reboot (1) }
        MAX-ACCESS      read-write
        STATUS          current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Setting this object will cause the device to reboot. 
                The actual value is ignored."
        ::= { i802System 1 }

Now the question remains if all the objects found in these MIBS are supported by my specific device, or if this MIB set is just a generic MIB set for WLAN equipment issued by Cisco.

I'm not sure if the PoE switch we currently have in place supports SNMP at all, but is for sure something I'll look into.

I've checked, and there's no manageability with the PoE switch we have in place.

And seeing as the Access Point refuses the SNMP command, it seems like I'm stuck with no option than to reboot this Access Point manually whenever it fails.

Thanks for your time and effort though, much appreciated! :)

I worked with the business unit of this product internally and seems this OID should reboot the device.

The OID that you were trying is the correct OID. They set the OID to ‘1’ and the device rebooted.

Name:  i802SystemReboot
Type:     OBJECT-TYPE
OID:       1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.104.1.1.2.1
Full path:                iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).cisco(9).otherEnterprises(6).ciscosb(1).wap002(104).ciscosbWLANAP(1).apGlobalConfig(1).i802System(2).i802SystemReboot(1)
Module:               CISCO-WLAN-ACCESS-POINT-MIB

Parent: i802System
Next sibling:       i802SystemPersistConfig

Numerical syntax:            Integer (32 bit)
Base syntax:       INTEGER
Composed syntax:          INTEGER
Max access:        read-write
Value list:            1: reboot(1)

Description:        Setting this object will cause the device to reboot.
                The actual value is ignored.

You should try to check if you're doing it correctly or not.

-Thanks

Vinod

The command used is:

snmpset -m ALL -v $VERSION -u $SECNAME -a $AUTHTYPE -A $PASSWORD -x $SECTYPE -X $PASSWORD -A $PASSWORD -l authPriv $HOSTNAME i802SystemReboot i 1

Called from a BASH script where all relevant variables are set. In reverse, using snmpget can retrive information with ease.

The error I receive is:

Reason: noCreation (That table does not support row creation or that object can not ever be created)
Failed object: CISCO-WLAN-ACCESS-POINT-MIB::i802SystemReboot

Hi,

old thread, but I'm confirming that setting OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.104.1.1.2.1.0 to 1 does reboot at least WAP321 and WAP121 models on firmware version 1.0.6.2.

It would appear that you need to define an snmpv3 RW user (snmpv2c write community doesn't seem to work).

Snmpset example: snmpset -v3 -l authPriv -u <user> -a MD5 -A <authkey> -x DES -X <privkey> <WAP-IP> 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.104.1.1.2.1.0 i 1

Thanks!

Hi,

just wanted to confirm that on WAP 371 with 1.2.0.2 firmware,

only snmpv3 works for snmpset.

I've just achieved to automate reboot of my AP every week with snmpset as given by Teemu before.

Thanks for info, regards