Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot ssh and ping to other switches

HI,

we had a network management machine which we removed long time ago and now i have added another machine which is windows, with same IP but it cannot connect to other switched except core switch cannot even ping. but i can ping other devices (computers).

kindly assist.

12 Replies 12

Hello,

hard to tell. Can the core switch ping the other switches ? What is the default gateway of the Windows machine, and where is it configured ?

If possible, post the configs of both the core switch, one of the 'unreachable' switches, as well as the output of 'ipconfig /all' from the Windows machine.

Hi,

yes core switch can ping. actually everywhere there is a connectivity only this ip is not reaching to other switches. gateway is 192.168.2.1. IP of PC is 192.168.2.16.

all config attached.

Hello,

try to clear the MAC address table on the core switch, and if that doesn't help, reboot the core switch.

Vinnfier93
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does each of the switches has IP for management VLAN? If you don't have IP for that switches,

of course you cannot ping/telnet/ssh to it.

Regards,

Hafiz

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This suspect below :

1. Any ACL on the Switch

2. Windows FW

3. post traceroute ( from your windows device to other host - look where it dropping)

4. same from otehr vlan IP address to windows traceroute will help us to understand the issue.

check is there any MAC address binding with old one ? check new device MAC address is correct with 2.16 IP

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Every switch has management IP, i did traceroute it did not reach to default gateway where i can ping default gateway. i remove arp entry for particular IP and clear mac address using port security sticky command because port security was enable. i will try to uninstall AV. actually i disabled AV before but nothing change.

i Just change the IP address and it works. now how can i troubleshoot Mac issue with IP 192.168.2.16. any idea ?

check the ACL if any related to 192.168.2.16 and remove ACL and also check with below command : ( all the switches)

show ip arp

show mac  table

clear ip arp 192.168.2.16 see if that fix the issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

what device is the core switch, and what IOS version are you running ?

On the Vlan interface, try and enable everything that is now explicitly disabled, then try to connect with the original IP (192.168.2.16) again...

interface Vlan2
description Network Management
ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
--> ip redirects
--> ip unreachables
--> ip proxy-arp
--> ip mfib cef input
--> ip route-cache

It is interesting that using 192.168.2.16 is problematic but using a different IP works ok. I wonder about the possibility that some other device in the network has been using 192.168.2.16. Could you post the output of show arp from the core switch?

HTH

Rick

DearSir,

I Have SG350-28P switch. I am facing problem hanging ,overheat & noise in that product.

You have added your post to an older discussion thread which is about very different symptoms. I would suggest that your question might get more attention if you had posted it as a new issue (many participants in the community pay more attention to an issue that is new than to an issue that is 6 months old with multiple responses).

But you posted your issue here and this is my response:

- If the switch is making noise the main part of the switch that makes noise is the fan. If there is noise there is probably an issue with the fan.

- if there is an issue with the fan there is likely to be overheating.

- if there is an issue with overheating it is likely that the switch will hang and require reboot to recover.

- if you have a support contract on this switch you should report the problem and request repair/replacement under that contract. If you do not have a support contract I am not sure whether the fan is a user replaceable part and if so how complex the replacement is. You might be better advised to obtain a replacement switch.

HTH

Rick