Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant delete my EEM script now

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I have created an EEM script to make a syslog message everytime the write command is executed.

But I made so the script triggers everytime wr is typed in the terminal, and now i cant delete the script again.

It just ignores the command and creates a syslog message. Please help.

HQ-CORE-1#show run | sec applet
event manager applet CLI-wr-alarm
event cli pattern "wr" sync yes
action 1.0 syslog msg "$_cli_msg Command Executed(test)"

HQ-CORE-1(config)#no event manager applet CLI-wr-alarm
HQ-CORE-1(config)#do show loggin | inc wr
HQ-CORE-1(config)#do show loggin
Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 1 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)

No Active Message Discriminator.

No Inactive Message Discriminator.

Console logging: disabled
Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged, xml disabled,
filtering disabled
Buffer logging: level debugging, 119 messages logged, xml disabled,
filtering disabled
Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)
Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled
File logging: disabled
Persistent logging: disabled

No active filter modules.

Trap logging: level informational, 115 message lines logged
Logging to 10.0.101.11 (udp port 514, audit disabled,
link up),
114 message lines logged,
0 message lines rate-limited,
0 message lines dropped-by-MD,
xml disabled, sequence number disabled
filtering disabled
Logging Source-Interface: VRF Name:
Loopback1

Log Buffer (4096 bytes):
Aug 23 21:08:28.122: %HA_EM-6-LOG: CLI-wr-alarm: no event manager applet CLI-wr-alarm Command Executed(test)
Aug 23 21:08:38.255: %HA_EM-6-LOG: CLI-wr-alarm: do-exec show loggin | inc wr Command Executed(test)
HQ-CORE-1(config)#

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is why I always recommend people think very carefully about their patterns when using the CLI event detector.  At this point, you will need to reload to recover.  If you haven't saved the applet to the startup config, a simple reload will get you back to where you want to be.  You can back up the config first.

If you have saved running to startup, copy the running config to an external server, remove the applet, and then copy it back to startup (e.g., copy tftp start).  Then reload.

In the future, make sure you use regex anchors to ensure explicit matching.  For example, in this case:

event cli pattern "^write"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is why I always recommend people think very carefully about their patterns when using the CLI event detector.  At this point, you will need to reload to recover.  If you haven't saved the applet to the startup config, a simple reload will get you back to where you want to be.  You can back up the config first.

If you have saved running to startup, copy the running config to an external server, remove the applet, and then copy it back to startup (e.g., copy tftp start).  Then reload.

In the future, make sure you use regex anchors to ensure explicit matching.  For example, in this case:

event cli pattern "^write"

I solved it by backing up the running config, and deleting the EEM script from the file, and then restored it as the startup config, and rebooted the switch as you recommended.

The thing I dont get is why the write command is cancelled and not executed?

The way your policy was written, it will be synchronous and exit with a
value of 0 (success). The success tells the parser NOT to execute the
command. In effect, you're telling the parser that the EEM policy
handled the command itself. If you added:

action 2.0 exit 1

Then the command would have executed.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: