Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6500 - SNMP OID For ARP Table

sayrmatics
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am using a 3rd party product to fetch the ARP table from catalyst 6500 switches. Some of the switches run IOS 12.2(33)SXI14 and some 12.2(33)SXI4/4a. I am able to fetch data from OID ipNetToMediaPhysAddress on some but not on others even when running the same code version. I The response on the ones that fails is "IP-MIB::ipNetToMediaPhysAddress = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID". I've had a look at the SNMP Object Navigator page and can see that ipNetToMediaPhysAddress has been deprecated but even the OIDs with status = current (ipNetToPhysicalNetAddress and ipNetToPhysicalPhysAddress) do not work either.

I have also verified that the SNMP view is the same across working/non working switches.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Hello,

The problem with this OID is that if you are not using the default vlan you need to map it to any active vlan if you are using v2 you can do the following :

snmpwalk -v2c -c <public@vlan#>  <ip add> ipNetToMediaPhysAddress.

For version 3 you need to configure a context and map that context to the SNMP group, then in the context you need to add the context name to the walk as below:

snmpwalk -v3  -l authPriv -u snmp-poller -a SHA -A "PASSWORD1"  -x AES -X "PASSWORD1" -n <context name> <ip add>

check first with version two and any active vlan and you will see the information being displayed.

Regards,

Claudio G