Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst switchport QoS configuration on trunk interface to Access Point

Rowan State
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone please advise on the most appropriate QoS configuration to be used on a Catalyst switch port (3560, 3650,3750 etc)

My scenario is:

Wireless mobile client devices used for Data and Voice applications connect to one of multiple SSID's provided by my Cisco AP (2700 series) 

The SSID for these devices has Qos configured as 'Platinum' voice grade on the Wireless controller.

The link from my switch to the AP is configured as a trunk as the other SSID's on the AP are bound to different VLANs

The AP is configured in Flexconnect mode with Central authentication (to support Fast Roaming) and Local Switching (as the WLC is remote)

So my query is, what is the most appropriate QoS configuation on my switch port? - The Voice application on the mobile devices apparently marks the VoIP packets with DSCP 48, but I think that if I use the "auto qos trust DSCP" configuration on my LAN switch ports that connect to the access points, the QoS markings may not be honoured as I think I can only use "auto qos trust cos" and the link to the AP is a Dot1.q trunk.

I want to ensure the VoIP traffic between clients in the same building (across multiple switches) is given priority.

4 Replies 4

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

On the uplinks you need to trust DSCP i.e "mls qos trust dscp" You will need this command on the 3560/3750 but the 3650 trust dscp by default. Mark you traffic on the edge of the network and trust dscp through the rest of the network.

Have a look at the following docs as a guide for QOS plan/design:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/qoscampuscat3xxxaag.html

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/qoscampuscat3x50aag.html

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

I recommend going the route of using Cisco Auto QOS Discovery , go under the interface to which your traffic is flowing.

Enter the following command " auto discovery "  this turns your device into a packet sniffer in which it starts detecting the type of packets using NBAR, let it run for at least 24 hours thereafter the device will recommend the types of QOS template based on the type of traffic it was able to identify using the auto discovery method.

You may also go the route of using the auto QOS command under the interface as well to let device automatically apply a set of template for the device.

This works very well, try it out.

P.Williams