Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisci and Huawei trunking

SherazAlvi9015
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i need to trunk between cisco catalyst and huawei S5720 in server client mode if possible or any other way to exchange their information and communication.

Pl suggest the solution.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@SherazAlvi9015 wrote:

Thanks @Andrew Khalil for the reply.

I have already done this. but i need Client Server type connection so that different vendor may also pick the VLANs details from each other. In short VTP vs VCMP ... How could these protocols be integrated ? 

@SherazAlvi9015,

to be more confident about that you can check this link,

https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/Interworking-and-Replacement-Guide-VTP/thread/392883-861

specially this part:

1.5 Interworking and Replacement Solution

1.5.1 Hybrid Networking 1: C-H Model

Overview

In the C-H model, a Cisco switch directly connects to a Huawei S series switch that has no downstream Cisco switch connected.

When VTP is enabled on the Cisco switch to synchronize VLAN information, the Huawei S series switch cannot process VTP packets. Therefore, a VLAN needs to be configured manually on the Huawei S series switch.

Please don't forget to rate all helpful responses and mark solutions,

Bst Rgds,

Andrew Khalil

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Andrew Khalil
Spotlight
Spotlight

@SherazAlvi9015 Hello dear,

You can trunk  between different vendors using the dot1q encapsulation which's open standard,

just you will need to configure the following:

on the huawei S5720:

#interface GigabitEthernet 0/0/13
#port link-type trunk
#port trunk allow-pass vlan all
#quit

On the Cisco SW:

#Interface f0/1

#switchport mode trunk

#exit

Only note that you have a use the same native vlan on both ports otherwise, you will get a miss-match.

Please don't forget to rate helpful replies and mark solutions! 

Bst Rgds,

Andrew Khalil

I have already done this. but i need Client Server type connection so that different vendor may also pick the VLANs details from each other. In short VTP vs VCMP ... How could these protocols be integrated ? 

Hello @SherazAlvi9015,

Unfortunately, these are vendors proprietary protocols,  unlike the dot1q which is an open standard protocol that can run between different vendors!

Keeping in mind that not all VTP versions are compatible together even, i.e VTPv3 with VTPv1.

The best practice is to have 1 server for each protocol specified for each vendor.

Please don't forget to rate all helpful responses and mark solutions! 

Bst Rgds,

Andrew Khalil

@SherazAlvi9015 wrote:

@SherazAlvi9015,

to be more confident about that you can check this link,

https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/Interworking-and-Replacement-Guide-VTP/thread/392883-861

specially this part:

1.5 Interworking and Replacement Solution

1.5.1 Hybrid Networking 1: C-H Model

Overview

In the C-H model, a Cisco switch directly connects to a Huawei S series switch that has no downstream Cisco switch connected.

When VTP is enabled on the Cisco switch to synchronize VLAN information, the Huawei S series switch cannot process VTP packets. Therefore, a VLAN needs to be configured manually on the Huawei S series switch.

Please don't forget to rate all helpful responses and mark solutions,

Bst Rgds,

Andrew Khalil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: