cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2600 router reset

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Hey guys, I have a quick question for you. It's been a while since I have reset the password on a 2600. I understand

how to accomplish this, without any problems, but I was wondering about the configuration. If I reset the password

on a 2600 will is completely wipe out the configuration on the router? Let's say I have a router we will call BigBird

and BigBird has a password that no one knows, but it is funtioning and serving a purpose. If I reset the password

will it wipe out the total contents of NVRAM or just the part where the password is?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ionut.Hristea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

doing the password recovery means restarting the router and modifying the config-register. After this the router/switch will boot with a default configuration, but the configuration you had is stored in startup-config. So you will just need to do a "copy start run".Also remember that the interfaces will be in admin shut down state so you will need to mannualy give them the no sh command.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ionut.Hristea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

doing the password recovery means restarting the router and modifying the config-register. After this the router/switch will boot with a default configuration, but the configuration you had is stored in startup-config. So you will just need to do a "copy start run".Also remember that the interfaces will be in admin shut down state so you will need to mannualy give them the no sh command.

Thanks for the help. I was pretty sure unless you did a write erase the configuration would still be there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco