Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4331 Stuck in ROMmon mode

atiye.bigdeli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends.

I have problem with the Cisco router 4331 after upgrading the ROMMON firmware. after  upgrade, the router cant boot and I get this message and the router reboot and reboot. 

===========================================

Initializing Hardware ...

Checking for PCIe device presence...done
System integrity status: 0x610
Rom image verified correctly

System Bootstrap, Version 16.9(1r), RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1994-2018 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Current image running: Boot ROM1

Last reset cause: LocalSoft
ISR4331/K9 platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory

media drive bootflash: not present

autoboot: boot failed, restarting...

Resetting .......

=======================================

when I go to the ROMMON mode the router cant recognize the USB Flash and I cant do anything. there is no copy command and tftpdnld.

how can I boot this router.

the USB flash is formatted correctly and other router recognize that

the only command are these:

rommon 2 > ?
alias 
boot 
confreg 
dev 
dir 
help 
history 
meminfo 
repeat 
reset 
set 
showmon 
sync 
token 
unalias 
unset 

Best Regards.

17 Replies 17

On older routers, PRIV mode in ROMMON was available. It gives an extended set of commands. Router 4331 knows about his existence and replies that regime not included. I think it was turned off by the developers, so that users do not do too much. But since the device is brick. The only way out is to try to stir up the router with an extended set of commands.

peterson-david
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue.  The latest image isr4300-universalk9.17.03.02.SPA.bin shows as corrupt from rommon mode.  I have tried to boot from bootflash with this image and it does not work.  Without xmodem command, I am not sure how I can load a working previous released image.  Any help is appreciated.

Hi Peterson,

You can boot from tftp. Set up tftp on you pc and have a different image ready(use correct image file name on the TFTP_FILE section), assign yourself sample IP 192.168.138.10 mask 255.255.255.0 no need of GW, patch yourself on the management port then issue below commands on Rommon.

IP_ADDRESS=192.168.138.3
IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.138.254
TFTP_SERVER=192.168.138.10
TFTP_FILE=isr4300-universalk9.03.13.04.S.154-3.S4-ext.SPA.bin
boot tftp:

When you manage. You can delete the corrupt image and transfer the uncorrupt image.