Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 Storm Control As A Percentage Recommendation

TW80CJ5
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Everyone...

I am having to implement storm control for ports on a Cisco 9300 switch. Does anyone have any recommendations on what percentage to use? 

Thanks for the help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see an actual "best-practice" value for the storm control, it all depends on the network and infrastructure you have.

some reference thread TAC suggestions :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/storm-control-thresholds/td-p/707264

some information from Cisco Live.

image.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Balaji's information is excellent, however, just want to add, since optimal value is specific to your environment, do be aware it can change overtime.  I.e. what's optimal for you today, might not be so a year from now.

BTW, something else to keep in mind, when storm control engages, for a real storm situation, it's going to impact "good" traffic too.  Think of it as doing amputation to save a life.  Keeping these two facts in mind, it's often better, I believe, to set high values so storm control only engages to keep the network from going into full meltdown.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see an actual "best-practice" value for the storm control, it all depends on the network and infrastructure you have.

some reference thread TAC suggestions :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/storm-control-thresholds/td-p/707264

some information from Cisco Live.

image.png

BB

Balaji's information is excellent, however, just want to add, since optimal value is specific to your environment, do be aware it can change overtime.  I.e. what's optimal for you today, might not be so a year from now.

BTW, something else to keep in mind, when storm control engages, for a real storm situation, it's going to impact "good" traffic too.  Think of it as doing amputation to save a life.  Keeping these two facts in mind, it's often better, I believe, to set high values so storm control only engages to keep the network from going into full meltdown.

Thank you Joseph! This is great advice! I was unsure of the percentage....I will set this a little high, thinking 75%???? (thoughts???) and set a storm control action to send a trap if it gets hit.

To me, that sounds like a good starting value and approach.

Possibly others still might post with additional information and/or recommendations.

BB...

As always, thanks for the information. I believe I am goinig to try the percentage approach rather than the bps...

Thanks again!!!!!!

Thank you ...Sure its case to case we need to understand the environment..deploy and monitor (tweak if any issue to meet final goal)

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: