Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Air LAP-1042 issue

Hi guys. I just purchase Cisco LAP-1042N for my office network expansion. When i console into the AP via serial. I am not able to used "configure terminal" command to set my AP name,static IP address.

I tried using "debug lwapp console cli" command it did not work. below is the capture screen of the error i am getting when assigning AP hostname. Error message : command is disable.

can some one guide me on how to configure the AP correctly and enable conf t command

Thanks in advanced.

Br

Syafiq

error_AP.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

can i still run conf t?

You can but with very, very limited commands allowed.

Talk to the vendor who sold you the WAP and tell them to give you autonomous IOS version 15.2(2)JB.  DO NOT, under any circumstances, accept the IOS version that end with JA.

Also know that your model of WAP has a Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the AP new or used? It may have a configuration on it already if used - resest it to default and do the express setup as described here. I beleive the 1040 series needs a DHCP server per the following section from the configuraiton guide:

Default IP Address Behavior

When you connect a 1040, 1130AG, 1140, 1200, 1240, 1250, 1260, 2600 access point, or 1300 series access point/bridge with a default configuration to your LAN, the access point requests an IP address from your DHCP server and, if it does not receive an address, continues to send requests indefinitely.

As a Lightweight AP, most of its settings should come from the WLC once you have the LAP on the network where it can see the WLC.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WAP you are currently using is running controller-based IOS.  You need to download an autonomous IOS (aIOS) and convert the WAP.

i dont think i have an account with cisco to download IOS. . but without converting it into WAP, can i still run conf t?

can i still run conf t?

You can but with very, very limited commands allowed.

Talk to the vendor who sold you the WAP and tell them to give you autonomous IOS version 15.2(2)JB.  DO NOT, under any circumstances, accept the IOS version that end with JA.

Also know that your model of WAP has a Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Hi leolaohoo,

As per check, my LAP IOS is. I have talked to my vendor to provide me with 15.2(2)JB version.

thank you for the help. Will update on once i have the new IOS.

Hi lealaohoo/all cisco peepz.

Happy 2013! I have change the AP IOS and now manage to associate the AP to my 4400 WLC. I need your help on one more thing. How can i enable telnet function for the AP?

Thanks in advanced.

When an access poiont is in Lightweight mode and associated with a controller, all changes are made from the controller. It's generally not necessary to log into the AP itself, either via telnet or SSH.

Controller telnet / ssh access is modified under the Management scren:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: