Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3560G Series Switch - Wrong Temperature Reading

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

I am trying to get the temperature reading from one of our 3560G Switches using SNMP. When I run an snmpget on the Switch it returns back to me a "1".

So when I run the following I get:

>  snmpget -v1 -c public 192.168.x.xxx 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3.1005

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.13.1.3.1.3.1005 = Gauge32: 1

But when I telnet to the device and run a "show env temperature status"

I get:

# show env temp status

Temperature Value: 32 Degree Celsius

Temperature State: GREEN

Yellow Threshold : 51 Degree Celsius

Red Threshold    : 61 Degree Celsius

So I'm not sure why I am getting a "1" when using snmpget on the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3.1005 which is (ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue)??

If I run the same OID on another 3560G Router I get the correct output from snmp....

If anyone has any thoughts please feel free to reply.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

There is the OID and there is an instance. The instance part can differ of different machines

Try a SNMPWALK rather then SNMPGET.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3    1005 is instance of a sensor

What I meant was if you snmpwalk the working device on OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3

You may see it has a temperature value for instance 1005 and if it has more temperature sensors under other instances as well.

if you snmpwalk the other device on OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3

It may give a values under other instances.

But If now values come back I'm not sure why.

In a device with modules these instances can change if you power up the box empty and then add the cards in a certain order.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

There is the OID and there is an instance. The instance part can differ of different machines

Try a SNMPWALK rather then SNMPGET.

Cheers,

Michel

Hey Michel, thanks for the reply...

I did an snmpwalk as you suggested but nothing really jumped out at me as the correct output.

You were saying that it could be different on different devices... But does that also go for two devices that are both the same model device..? Because that same OID gives the correct output on another 3560G that we have that are running the same IOS version?

Could it possibly need a restart?

Thanks,

Matt

ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3    1005 is instance of a sensor

What I meant was if you snmpwalk the working device on OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3

You may see it has a temperature value for instance 1005 and if it has more temperature sensors under other instances as well.

if you snmpwalk the other device on OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3

It may give a values under other instances.

But If now values come back I'm not sure why.

In a device with modules these instances can change if you power up the box empty and then add the cards in a certain order.

Cheers,

Michel

The question here is that the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1 is the snmp variable ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue and its description tell that is the temperature value in Celsius degree from the box.

It doesn't matter that you can get one or another instance if you have more than one sensor in the box, the really question is why you get ""1"" for any instance ????.

the variable is a Gauge32 and should tell us what's is the temperature of any sensor, so in my opinion it can be a bug or cisco implementation for it is different from standard.

Can anybody clarify it??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: