Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 6800ia

YairSedaka1029
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I am network manager in organization of 400-500 employees.

There is 2 c6840-x and 15 6800ia over the building, and a while ago the developer unit came with request to sniff one port (both rx and tx) from one of the 6800ia.

I tries some things but my question is:

Is it possible to use SPAN on the source port of 6800ia and destination port of other 6800ia?

i tried to configure Session 1 SPAN on the 6840 between the 6800ia but the destination port just lose all its network, without the sniffed port.

thank you!

1 Reply 1

Senbonzakura
Level 1
Level 1

I myself are playing around with this more but I found something that may help you in general.

Regardless of the type of SPAN we are running, a SPAN source port can be any type of port—a routed port, a physical switch port, an access port, a trunk port, an EtherChannel port (either one physical port or the entire port-channel interface), and so on. On a SPAN source VLAN, all active ports in that VLAN are monitored. As you add or remove ports from that VLAN, the sources are dynamically updated to include new ports or exclude removed ports. Also, a port configured as a SPAN destination cannot be part of a SPAN source VLAN.

Restrictions and Conditions

Destination ports in SPAN, RSPAN, and ERSPAN have multiple restrictions. The key restrictions include the following:

• When you configure a destination port, its original configuration is overwritten. If the SPAN configuration is removed, the original configuration on that port is restored.

• When you configure a destination port, the port is removed from any EtherChannel bundle if it were part of one. If it were a routed port, the SPAN destination configuration overrides the routed port configuration.

• Destination ports do not support port security, 802.1x authentication, or private VLANs. In general, SPAN/RSPAN and 802.1x are incompatible.

• Destination ports do not support any Layer 2 protocols, including CDP, Spanning Tree, VTP, DTP, and so on.

Maybe this will help you, I will look further into this and see what else I can do for you and learn something in the process myself.