cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP address

eyeseven26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I don't know if i'm on the right thread, please move it this is wrong.

I have new cisco router which is issued by ISP, the problem is i have an existing router and it has  a Ip address of  192.168.1.254

now my new cisco router has an ip address of 10.10.10.1. now if i will change from my DCHP server the ip address of my router from 192.168.1.254 to 10.10.10.1, is this type of configuration will gonna work?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

They gave you the user-mode username and password. When you type "enable", or "en" you enter the privileged-mode.

To access the global configuration mode, you need to have enabled the privileged-mode first. And this can't be done via the user-mode.

If you ask access to the privileged-mode, they will tell you they won't provide any support to the device in the future.

Giorgos

View solution in original post

If you absolutely can not change the IP of the plotter and you need to keep devices in the 192.168.1.0 network, I would suggest you contact the ISP and ask them to modify the configuration to match your requirements. They should be able to access the router remotely and carry out the necessary changes.

Kind regards,

Paul

HTH Paul ****Please rate useful posts****

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

paulstone80
Level 3
Level 3

Hi John,

Is the DHCP server on the existing router, or is it a different device somewhere else on the network?

Paul

garapoglou
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

There are several things you should do besides changing the IP address. You should check and correct/add IP routing, ACLs, etc.

Is the old router a Cisco one?

Best regards,

Giorgos

eyeseven26
Level 1
Level 1

@ Paul - DHCP Server is on my windows Server 2003.

@ Giorgos - I think about changing the IP address of my CISCO to  the same ip of my old router but the problme is when i put the command "enable" it requires a password".

Old router is a linksys router.

Please help..

Hi John,

If you could access the Cisco router you would see there are various things to be changed than its IP address only. The old one routes 192.168.1.0 network while the new one routes 10.10.10.0.

The ISP seems to have locked the configuration. There is a way of removing the privileged-mode password but I wouldn't recommend it if the ISP has locked the configuration on purpose.

On the other hand, changing the DHCP server configuration will force you to change IP settings on clients as well. If a client connected to the old router used the old LAN, now it needs to use the new one.

There are two ways to solve the problem. Change the router or the network configuration. Since you can't access the router configuration, you have to deal with the network itself. You have to change the DHCP scope and any static IP address used by any kind of network device.

Best regards,

Giorgos

eyeseven26
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my current settings:

here is my DHCP Server on Windows 2003 Server :

If the new router is sent from the ISP then I suspect the configuration is managed by them, and it will be password protected to prevent you from changing the configuration. Have they provided you with passwords to access the router?

If you can't change the configuration of the new cisco router you will have to change your DHCP scope on your DHCP server to match the new 10.10.10.0 network so that devices can obtain an IP. However, the ISP may have already configured dhcp on the new router so you may not need to do this.

Do you know if the new router has dhcp enabled on it?

@ Paul - they give me a username and a password but i think its a low level access type of account. It only allows me to put some basic command.. but when i tried to put en or enable,its prompting for a password.

DHCP also enable on the cisco router, the reason why i don't want to make another scope is we have some ploter machine that is also protected from changing ip address.  

They gave you the user-mode username and password. When you type "enable", or "en" you enter the privileged-mode.

To access the global configuration mode, you need to have enabled the privileged-mode first. And this can't be done via the user-mode.

If you ask access to the privileged-mode, they will tell you they won't provide any support to the device in the future.

Giorgos

If you absolutely can not change the IP of the plotter and you need to keep devices in the 192.168.1.0 network, I would suggest you contact the ISP and ask them to modify the configuration to match your requirements. They should be able to access the router remotely and carry out the necessary changes.

Kind regards,

Paul

@Giogos- yah, thats the problem, i need to change a lot of things inside cisco router, but the tech support doesn't even know how to deal with it. I'm leaving in a arab country.... anyway thanks, i'll find another way to access it.

@ Paul - thanks so much for your help. i have tried so many times to contact  their tech support but unfortunately  they love arabic language..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: