Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco LMS 4.0 and Cisco WCS EOL & EOS

Hello Expert,

Good day!

Our client years back purchased Cisco LMS 4.0 and Cisco WCS which is already EOS and EOL. Implementation of that product is about to start as there are some dependency. With that, are the underneath possible.

1. Cisco LMS 4.0 - Upgrade to Cisco Prime LMS 4.2 or Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0 and used Cisco LMS 4.0 licenses, with out additional cost.

2. Cisco WCS - Seems that the replacement of this is Cisco Prime Infrasture? can some confirm and verify this one. 

3. Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0 Requirement - Based on my reading and understanding, seems that Standalone Server with either (linux or Windows) operating system is not supported, kindly please confirm and verify.

Hoping to receive your kind comment and response on the above concern.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aamadulin,

You're correct to recognize that LMS 4.0 and WCS are EOS/EOL. They are no more sold and supported.

Before I answer your questions, I would like to give a brief on both products.

LMS- used to manage the wired infrastructure of Cisco based deployment has its final and latest release is LMS 4.2 which will not be developed further and down the line LMS will be obsolete. Even now LMS 4.2 is not sold separately, but an upgrade license is available for eligible customer's.

WCS is to manage the CUWN devices, such as WLC and AP's was produced to its next generation, termed as Cisco Prime Network Control System (NCS).

Soon we came out as a strategy to combine wireless and wired infrastructure thorough one unified device, which is Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

As per the questions following are the responses :

1. Cisco LMS 4.0 - Upgrade to Cisco Prime LMS 4.2 or Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0 and used Cisco LMS 4.0 licenses, with out additional cost

>> Only eligible customer's and contracts will be given a Prime Infrastructure license for upgrade. You should check with your vendor/seller or you can check on Cisco Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) by entering contract number if you can get Cisco Prime Infrastructure for free upgrade.

Else, it comes with an upgrade fee for license, which you can recheck with cisco sales or your vendor.

Check PUT here :

http://tools.cisco.com/gct/Upgrade/jsp/productUpgrade.jsp

2. Cisco WCS- Seems that the replacement of this is Cisco Prime Infrasture? can some confirm and verify this one.

>>As stated above, yes WCS is completely replaced by Cisco Prime Infrastructure. But LMS is not completely migrated with all features. They are being slowly implemented, with new releases.

3. Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0 Requirement - Based on my reading and understanding, seems that Standalone Server with either (linux or Windows) operating system is not supported, kindly please confirm and verify.

>>With networks going virtual, Cisco has removed the support for physical hardware and OS's like windows/Solaris. Now Cisco Prime Infrastructure can only be installed as Virtual machine/Host on a ESXi server. Its a linux kernel with in-baked Prime Infrastructure.

Check the System Prefrences for CPI 2.0 here :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-0/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#wp46865

-Thanks

Vinod
**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aamadulin,

You're correct to recognize that LMS 4.0 and WCS are EOS/EOL. They are no more sold and supported.

Before I answer your questions, I would like to give a brief on both products.

LMS- used to manage the wired infrastructure of Cisco based deployment has its final and latest release is LMS 4.2 which will not be developed further and down the line LMS will be obsolete. Even now LMS 4.2 is not sold separately, but an upgrade license is available for eligible customer's.

WCS is to manage the CUWN devices, such as WLC and AP's was produced to its next generation, termed as Cisco Prime Network Control System (NCS).

Soon we came out as a strategy to combine wireless and wired infrastructure thorough one unified device, which is Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

As per the questions following are the responses :

1. Cisco LMS 4.0 - Upgrade to Cisco Prime LMS 4.2 or Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0 and used Cisco LMS 4.0 licenses, with out additional cost

>> Only eligible customer's and contracts will be given a Prime Infrastructure license for upgrade. You should check with your vendor/seller or you can check on Cisco Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) by entering contract number if you can get Cisco Prime Infrastructure for free upgrade.

Else, it comes with an upgrade fee for license, which you can recheck with cisco sales or your vendor.

Check PUT here :

http://tools.cisco.com/gct/Upgrade/jsp/productUpgrade.jsp

2. Cisco WCS- Seems that the replacement of this is Cisco Prime Infrasture? can some confirm and verify this one.

>>As stated above, yes WCS is completely replaced by Cisco Prime Infrastructure. But LMS is not completely migrated with all features. They are being slowly implemented, with new releases.

>>With networks going virtual, Cisco has removed the support for physical hardware and OS's like windows/Solaris. Now Cisco Prime Infrastructure can only be installed as Virtual machine/Host on a ESXi server. Its a linux kernel with in-baked Prime Infrastructure.

Check the System Prefrences for CPI 2.0 here :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-0/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#wp46865

-Thanks

Vinod
**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Good overview, Vinod.

I would add that if a customer intends to leverage Netflow sources or NAM appliance, they should also consider Assurance licensing with their Prime Infrastructure.

Also, PI 2.0 is available with the Cisco Prime Appliance (PRIME-NCS-APL-K9) hardware option as noted in the Ordering and Licensing Guide. We don't see it used all that often but it is an option - some customers may prefer it if they don't have a virtualization environment or want to keep their network management in a separate, non-virtual, server.

Thanks Marvin,

Your ocean of knowledge and expert opinion is inevitable. So helpful for all of us in CSC.

The way I can sum up is even your little two cents are worth a Billion!

-Thanks

Vinod