Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco LMS 4.2 Appliance on VMware vSphere 4.0

Bart Mars
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to install the Cisco LMS 4.2 Appliance on a VMware vSphere 4.0 environment.

I'm following the http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/install/guide/instl.html#wp1689675
guide.

I downloaded the Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution_4_2.iso and I started the server.

I get this screen and I choose option 1:

A Welcome message appears:

Welcome to Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution 4.2

To boot from hard disk, press <Enter>

The following options appears:

[1] Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution 4.2 Installation

This option allows you to perform installation of LMS 4.2.

[2] Recover administrator password

This option allows you to recover the administration password. Follow Step 3 to Step 17 of Recovering Admin Password on Soft Appliance Installed on VMware, to recover the administration password.

<Enter> Boot existing OS from Hard Disk

This allows you to boot up the existing OS available in the hard disk.

However, unlike the installation on my laptop (using VMware Workstation) I cannot get to this part:

Enter the following configuration details of the server:

Hostname

IP Address

Subnetmask

Gateway

DNS Domain

et cetera

What follows looks like an installation to me.

When this stops I get a

localhost login:

I cannot enter Setup as I get a password statement afterwards.

Can somebody please help me as I'm having no idea what went wrong..

Many thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you're getting "localhost login:", the initial installation has not completed properly. You may have downloaded the wrong file. It should generally be the .ova file - not the .iso - for a VMWare installation unless you are insallaing onto an NCS or UCS server.

I'd blow away that VM and start over with a fresh download.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you're getting "localhost login:", the initial installation has not completed properly. You may have downloaded the wrong file. It should generally be the .ova file - not the .iso - for a VMWare installation unless you are insallaing onto an NCS or UCS server.

I'd blow away that VM and start over with a fresh download.

Thanks for your help, Marvin.

We went ahead with the .ova file and it worked alright.

We also did a little test and it seems that the .iso file does work on some VMware platforms. Our test environment had a VMware vSphere 4.1. When we started a VM with the same specs and the ISO file mounted, the installation did succeed.

You're welcome. I'm glad my suggestion worked.

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: