Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco PI Backup Size

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I just setup a backup of my PI into a remote server, before it was on local PI. I know it was wrong to stored it locally, so I moved it to a remote backup server. I just realized that the backup size is almost 13GB and it took 6 hours to complete the backup. Is the backup size normal? Is there a way to reduce the backup size? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you using PI 3.4 that is the right size of the backup.  Once you move to 3.7 and higher the backup size drastically comes down.

You can not reduce the backup size that is normal for application backup, if you like to backup only limited then you need to choose what backup you need to ignore.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hi

Yeah, it is small to be honest.  My gets 50 Giga easily.  What you can do is store less logs for short period. Prime allow you to choose how many days the log will be stored and after that, logs are deleted. This way you can keep the size of data base under control.

Hi Flavio,

I see. So it's kind of normal to have a PI backup file this big.

Other than logs, is there any other things that we should take a look at? Does old saved mac addresses has a big role in big backup file size?

Hello,

the command 'ncs cleanup' used to be around, I am not sure if that does anything for actually reducing the size of the backup though...

Hi Georg,

Let me do some research on ncs cleanup command. Thank you for your reference.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you using PI 3.4 that is the right size of the backup.  Once you move to 3.7 and higher the backup size drastically comes down.

You can not reduce the backup size that is normal for application backup, if you like to backup only limited then you need to choose what backup you need to ignore.

BB

Hi Balaji,

My PI is on 3.3. I am planning the upgrade to 3.7. Let's see the backup size comparison after the upgrade. Thank you for the insight.

When you upgrade, make sure you take the backup of each version of the upgrade.

give plenty of time upgrade, some time it take 14 hours full upgrade and restore DB

BB

Hi Balaji,

Well then, I think I gotta spare the whole day for the PI upgrade itself. Hopefully everything goes well.

yes, i did one upgrade 3.4 to 3.9 took me 4 days to fully operational.

BB

Hi Balaji,

I just finished upgrading my PI to 3.7. Like you said, the backup size drastically decreased from 14GB to 2.8GB. Thank you for the insights.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: