cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime 2.1: Not writing running config after template deployment

justin.girdler
Level 1
Level 1

I have noticed that Prime is not writing the running config after CLI template deployments.  I deployed a changeset to over 1100 devices the other night and noticed that the configs had not been written the startup config.

I did some testing today and am using the following CLI template:

#MODE_ENABLE
copy running-config startup-config
#MODE_END_ENABLE

All tests failed.  I found the syntax for enable mode from the following link:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-0/user/guide/prime_infra_ug/create_temps.html#31705

Any ideas on why it isn't writing the configs by default or how to force it through a template?

5 Replies 5

Falk Fischer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I use "do write mem" at the end of any script.

greetings

Falk

Thank you, that works.

But is there a reason my other command set shouldn't work?  It is in the user guide...

#MODE_ENABLE
copy running-config startup-config
#MODE_END_ENABLE

You might have already figured this out but the reason your "copy running-config startup-config" thing didn't work is because that command requires interaction whereas "write mem" does not.  In order for your "copy running-config startup-config" to work, you'd have to include:

#MODE_ENABLE
#INTERACTIVE
copy running-config startup-config<IQ>Destination filename [startup-config]?<R>startup-config
#ENDS_INTERACTIVE
#MODE_END_ENABLE

Or something to that effect.

I've got a little bit more information for you on this.  If you were to login to a switch, enter enable mode and type "copy running-config startup-config" and press ENTER you'd see this:

Destination filename [startup-config]?

You'd then read the documentation and think to yourself "Self, I better use the following syntax in my CLI template"

#INTERACTIVE
copy running-config startup-config<IQ>Destination filename [startup-config]?<R>startup-config
#ENDS_INTERACTIVE

But in Cisco's world, I guess that just doesn't make any sense at all.  Why use the actual interactive question when you can simply just use the first word (even though all of their examples show multi-word interactive questions).  The correct syntax would then be:

#INTERACTIVE
copy running-config startup-config<IQ>Destination<R>startup-config
#ENDS_INTERACTIVE

#START_SARCASM
Duh!  It's so obvious.  Why in the world would one ever think anything other than that you would simply take the first word in the interactive question and just leave it at that.  I feel so stupid
#ENDS_SARCASM

Thanks for that. I was stuck on this for a full day yesterday and had assumed that the INTERACTIVE and ENABLE modes were broken. The jobs indicated nothing other than a Connection error. In my case I was attempting a copy run to tftp server. Now the job completes successfully but there is no config backup on the tftp server. I can copy/paste the command in a terminal session and the config does successfully backup. Frustrating. All this because you cannot bulk export config backups from NCS Prime 2.x. We are retiring our appliance because we are purchasing APIC-EM. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: