cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco prime 3.4.0 Device management

ciscosupport111
Level 1
Level 1

I use ISE 2.4.0 Tacacs+ service for authentication  of Prime 3.4.0 users.

We also use same  ISE 2.4.0 TACACS+ service for network device management.

Initially when I added network devices in Prime  inventory I've used  my tacacs+ credentials.

After That whenever different user is making configuration changes from prime it uses my credentials.

How To make prime to authenticate with tacacs+ on network device with specific administrator credentials. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

>We have ISE integrated in prime, is it possible to force prime to renew(update) credentials every time when user decides to manage device

No that is not possible because the device access-credentials are considered to be  a part of the access-configuration for Prime when it manages devices. Note for instance that Prime , does many independent background tasks too  using the configured access-credentials for each device that it manages. In that context it could be advisable to have  a separate  management account on the network for accessing the switches from Prime.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You might be confused on the access parameters  used when logging into Prime, versus those used when adding a switch. Prime will always use the latter for further managerial tasks to be executed on the switch(es)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply,

Please explain how to solve following task:

If we have in IT department two or more network engineers, and one of them added network devices in prime with his own tacacs+ credentials.

Then other network engineer decides to manage this device from prime, he logs in prime with his own credentials, and manages device with credentials that is not his. Finally all other network engineers would manage device from prime with only one user that is who added device initially.

We need to differentiate changes that is done by different users(network engineers). 

We have ISE integrated in prime, is it possible to force prime to renew(update) credentials every time when user decides to manage device.

>We have ISE integrated in prime, is it possible to force prime to renew(update) credentials every time when user decides to manage device

No that is not possible because the device access-credentials are considered to be  a part of the access-configuration for Prime when it manages devices. Note for instance that Prime , does many independent background tasks too  using the configured access-credentials for each device that it manages. In that context it could be advisable to have  a separate  management account on the network for accessing the switches from Prime.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: