cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime 3.5 - Software Image Distribution Fails - File checksum/size on destination varies from file checksum/size of source. Probable Cause: The file copy failed due to Temporary Network errors..

Knowlesy14
Level 1
Level 1

I'm testing using Prime Infrastructure 3.5 to push out a new IOS to some Cat3850 switches. I have a Linux VM running SCP server acting as the intermediary. The job starts and I see the IOS file start to copy to the Linux SCP folder. Then job fails and I get an error stating...

"File checksum/size on destination varies from file checksum/size of source. Probable Cause: The file copy failed due to Temporary Network errors."

Same outcome with different IOS versions on different hardware.

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters verify this assertion by using the command verify /md5 full-file-path on IOS versus the result (or source) of the same file on the Linux VM with md5sum filename.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello and thanks!

I was able to verify the MD5 checksums are the same at both locations.

Looking at the logs of the target 3850 switch I'm seeing the error: 

%SSH-3-BAD_PACK_LEN: Bad packet length 1349676916

Quick search of that error and came across this article - https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCve64732/?rfs=iqvred

- Considering this bug : if the switch enforces to strong ciphers, try lowering this restriction for Prime to become happy.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks, yes I've tried tinkering with using different ciphers to no avail, unfortunately.

I'm not putting any further effort into this... Not overly impressed with Prime.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Would you actually trust PI to upgrade the firmware of your switches?
I haven't and I would never recommend it.
There are times when I used to upgrade >300 stacks per week by hand because PI and DNAC couldn't.

I have had success using Prime to upgrade IOS versions in the past but have always thoroughly tested before using in production. It's only since transitioning to IOS 16.x that this appears to have become an issue.

Back to the good ol' manual method.

Thanks.

Mark

- Probably because IOS 16.x uses the strong ciphers for SSH by default.

M.