Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Continuously logging onto one switch

rkelly100
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

After looking at the tacacs authentication logs in our ACS I notice that Prime is continuously trying to log into one of our switch. We have around 1000 network devices on our LAN and this is the only switch that seems to be having this issue.

I know the account is our Prime AAA account and that it is coming from our Prime server.

Is there anyway of figuring out were on Prime this is coming from (user defined or system job or poller)?

Its like trying to find a needle in a hay stack!

Any help would be much appreciated Thanks

Richard

Cisco Prime 3.3 is our current version but problem was still present on previous versions

23 Replies 23

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Is the device configured correctly for Prime's logon (credentials); if needed remove the device from Prime re-enter it, but issue verify credentials first, before the final add.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

When deleting it it did ask whether I wanted to delete aps associated with device so hopefully that will do the trick. I will know by tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks

Richard

How continuously is this? Like every 10 minutes perhaps?

If the device is sending SYSLOG messages that 'could' indicate a config change, then PI is waiting 10 minutes and then tries to download the configs files.

If the device continues to send SYSLOG messages, PI will try again in 10 minutes.

This should be visible in the show log of the device.

There is no system job on PI that runs every 10 minutes that would do this.

I do wonder what apps you are talking about.

Hi All

The issue is still happening in fact going by the logs I can see that PI is trying to login

Below is an outline of the frequency at the minute and this will happen several times a day.

12:05,12:03,12:01,11:59,11:57,11:55,11:52,11:52,11:52,11:49,11:47,11:45,11:43,11:43,11:43

No syslog configured on the console. I do see an access point on the switch that is continuously going up and down in the logs.

Perhaps this is the reason and keeps kicking off a PI job?

Thanks

Richard

>The issue is still happening in fact going by the logs I can see that PI is trying to login

- What exactly are the logs saying ?

>Access point going up and down.

- Can you remove the access point from  the switch; is the prime-issue then resolved ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi Marce

So on further inspection I realised the AP was juniper so shouldn't be communicating with PI. Anyway I have shut the AP down and am still seeing PI trying to log into that switch every 2 minutes.

Thanks

Richard

Ok. also check the switch model and the current software version installed ; compare this with Prime compatibility info (see link below); your OS version , for instance (on the switch) ; might be too low and may need upgrading to get compatible with prime 3.3 (e.g.)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/products-device-support-tables-list.html

M.

Model                        SW Version       SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
WS-C3850-48P        03.06.04.E        cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL

Seems to be supported

- Could you try to stop and re-start Prime using : ncs stop ; followed by ncs start  ?

M.

Yes tried that - no joy unfortunately

>... Prime is continuously trying to log into one of our switch

I want to re-iterate on this; where is this seen , and what is the content or the exact value of the message you are seeing ?

M.

I assume you may have an ACS that tells you about PI making the connection to the switch?

I think it can also tell you what commands PI gives on the switch.

This may give us clue where the job is coming from. 

I am seeing this on our Cisco ACS Server - Screenshot of the content attached

Can you click on the details icon?