Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime deploy configuration using templates

p.juarezponte
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I am trying to deploy an easy configuration on a few devices (they are 4k, that's my problem).

We hace a Cisco Prime Infraestructure running 3.4

I hope we can make it using a customized template.

I need to deploy just a command to configure switches from a site to use the router from that site as ntp server.

I mean,

I have a switch with ip address 10.69.23.145.

I want to set the command ntp server 10.69.23.254 prefer.

Each site has a different subnet, obvious, but the last octect (ip address router) is always the last.

It should be something like get the switch ip address, change the last octect and use it as a variable value.

Can this be done?

I hope there is no need to make it manually

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
You would need to program the variables up in custom templates for it to be able to to that and im not sure if its even possible it would be need to be scripted you could check teh release guide it may tell you what restrictions there are , i use the custom templates a lot in prime but just to push out mass config changes to our devices , ive done it for ntp before but we have global NTP servers so it was same change to 1000 devices at once , once the device is under management you just setup the config change and push it

you could just make a template for each site as another option then you dont need a variable setup

Hello Mark,

I set a template to deploy an ntp centralized configuration to all routers, but I would prefer the switches to use the router on the site to avoid all that traffic through the wan.

I will check configuration guide but I hope there is a better solution than create a template for each site (i did not have that idea, but at least is better than make it one by one).

Thanks

There wouldnt be much traffic with NTP over the WAN very little at all it uses tiny packets , hardly noticeable every 30 seconds or so but you would want to make sure its secured even in an MPLS WAN network with acl and keys , we have a 1000 devices in PI syncing back to 5 NTP internal servers maybe 70 plus sites including , each regional HQ has an NTP server , so 1 for EMEA and 1 for ASIA PAC etc , that way you would only have 5 jobs and there would be no effect on WAN traffic