Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 On Windows

Michael Roets
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gents,

We have a network environment which consists of roughly 300 - 400 Cisco Network Switches.

We are a Microsoft Licensed house and only use the Microsoft server environment.

I just have 1 question:

Can Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 be installed on Windows Server?

I have been searching for answers all over the net but only keep getting back to the pre-requisites for the server installation.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance, 

Regards
Mike

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

daniel.litwin
Level 1
Level 1

No, Prime is deployed either as a physical appliance from Cisco or as a Virtual Machine.

The VM is preconfigured OVA file.  It is Linux based.

It looks like Cisco is getting away from using Windows for any of their software and is choosing to use Linux exclusively.  I've seen it for the VOIP call manager stuff too.

Dannon

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Daniel said - it's a physical or virtual appliance only. The virtual appliance requires a customer-provided VMware ESXi server to host Prime as a guest VM. The physical appliance is a Cisco-branded server with the full image pre-loaded. It is based on the Cisco C-series UCS server hardware.

In both cases, Prime Infrastructure is an application built on the underlying (and included) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). When not using the GUI (web interface driven by an Apache web server), you interact at the command line via an ADE-OS (Application Development Environment Operating System) abstraction layer. For troubleshooting (and with TAC guidance or great care), we can drop into the bash shell and be at the native Linux command line.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

daniel.litwin
Level 1
Level 1

No, Prime is deployed either as a physical appliance from Cisco or as a Virtual Machine.

The VM is preconfigured OVA file.  It is Linux based.

It looks like Cisco is getting away from using Windows for any of their software and is choosing to use Linux exclusively.  I've seen it for the VOIP call manager stuff too.

Dannon

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Daniel said - it's a physical or virtual appliance only. The virtual appliance requires a customer-provided VMware ESXi server to host Prime as a guest VM. The physical appliance is a Cisco-branded server with the full image pre-loaded. It is based on the Cisco C-series UCS server hardware.

In both cases, Prime Infrastructure is an application built on the underlying (and included) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). When not using the GUI (web interface driven by an Apache web server), you interact at the command line via an ADE-OS (Application Development Environment Operating System) abstraction layer. For troubleshooting (and with TAC guidance or great care), we can drop into the bash shell and be at the native Linux command line.