Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco prime infrastructure device lic for LAP

Hi,

I have a doubt regarding license for monitoring LAP,

do I have to request one device license per LAP, or just consider the device license of the WLC to which each LAP is associated?

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rollin Kibbe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Filiberto:

Depends.  On the older wireless LAN controller models like the 2106 and the 4400s, there was no licensing on the controller.

Newer models require licensing per AP that will be joining the controller.

On top of that, regardless of model of controller or AP, each AP, switch or router in Prime Infrastructure that's going to be managed has to have a license count.  (Controllers do not consume a device count themselves.) 

Example:  a 5508 controller that has 150 APs joined to it, and there are 10 switches and 2 routers in the network that are, as well being managed by Prime Infrastructure would require at least 162 license counts. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rollin Kibbe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Filiberto:

Depends.  On the older wireless LAN controller models like the 2106 and the 4400s, there was no licensing on the controller.

Newer models require licensing per AP that will be joining the controller.

On top of that, regardless of model of controller or AP, each AP, switch or router in Prime Infrastructure that's going to be managed has to have a license count.  (Controllers do not consume a device count themselves.) 

Example:  a 5508 controller that has 150 APs joined to it, and there are 10 switches and 2 routers in the network that are, as well being managed by Prime Infrastructure would require at least 162 license counts. 

Hi Rollin,

I really appreciate your quick response, your answer clear my doubt because your example is exactly my scenario.

I spent many hours looking some info about this but Icouldn't find it.

do you have any link I can check ??

regards

Hi Filiberto:

So you believe me, but want proof?

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Ordering and Licensing Guide  (info is the same for 1.3 and later)

About Cisco Prime Infrastructure Licensing (from the Prime Infrastructure 1.3 Quick Start Guide)

Rollin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: