cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure - SNMPv3 Tasks Filling Up Logs

TNetwork
Level 1
Level 1

More of a curiosity question than anything, as it's not hurting anything currently.

We use Cisco Prime Infrastructure and we have a lot of different devices. Currently I'm only looking at the logs in our wireless controllers, but as I was looking in the logs for something else, it bothered me there were so many logs for SNMPv3.

My question is, is there any reason to slow down the SNMP Tasks (other than reading through logs sake) and if there is, is it even possible?

Below is just an extremely small sample of how frequently these SNMP logs are occurring.

*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.618: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:911 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 decryption succeeded
*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.618: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:713 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 integrity check succeeded
*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.605: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:911 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 decryption succeeded
*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.604: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:713 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 integrity check succeeded
*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.591: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:911 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 decryption succeeded
*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.591: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:713 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 integrity check succeeded
*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.578: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:911 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 decryption succeeded
*SNMPTask: Mar 01 19:54:03.578: %CCAUDIT-6-CC_MSG: v3_msg.c:713 WLC - User ID: snmp - SNMPv3 integrity check succeeded

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Theres a few version of PI so this maybe different on yours but in mine its in this section you can slow down frequency of polls , that may slow down alerts

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-0/user/guide/pi_ug/mon-pol-thresh.html

Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Monitoring Policies

Modifying Default Monitoring Policies

Prime Infrastructure monitoring policies monitor network device metrics and alert you of changing conditions before the issues impact their operation. By default, Prime Infrastructure polls device health metrics on supported routers, switches and hubs only, and interface health metrics on WAN interface groups. It is not polled on storage devices, and UCS series devices. If a the threshold is violated three times, Prime Infrastructure generates a critical alarm, which is displayed on the Monitor > Monitoring Tools > Alarms and Events page.

To modify or disable the polling frequency and the threshold parameters, follow these steps:

Step 1 Choose Monitor > Monitoring Tools > Monitoring Policies > Automonitoring .

Step 2 Select Device Health , then modify the polling frequencies and thresholds as desired.

Step 3 Click:

Save and Activate to save and activate the policy immediately on the selected devices.
Save and Close to save the policy and activate it at a later time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: