cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure take a very long time to boot.

Louissatorio
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have receive our Cisco Prime infrastructure appliance last week and I'm working on it in our lab. We have restrictions and I must shut it down at the end of every day. But my problem is that every time I powered it up, it take almost 30 minutes to get the prompt. Is it normal or does the appliance is defective ?

Thank you for your answer.

4 Replies 4

Rob Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you say Power Off---

You are logging into the CLI of the appliance and doing an ncs stop, correct?

What you could do to make sure everything is installed properly (if you haven't gotten too far into the configuration) is download an ISO image of the Prime Software installed, burn the ISO to a DVD and reimage the appliance.

Please keep in mind there is a lot going on "behind the scenes" and the startup of NCS and the stopping of NCS isn't very speedy.  However, the application from a Web browser perspective still runs an acceptable performance and is very scalable....

marreboy1976
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same experience as you Gautier. If I reboot the Prime instance it takes a very long time (20 to 30 minutes) before the login prompt comes up on the Console. And then the Web interface will also be available again.

It looks a bit worrying with the lack of visual feedback on the console but I have started to accept it as normal.

I have seen this on 1.1, 1.2, and 1.2.1 installed on different types of configurations, NCS appliance and VMWare ESX virtual appliance.

So all in all, annoying long wait and no visual feedback that the boot is progressing but no real functional issue.

James Johnston
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to share and keep this thread alive so that maybe someone from Cisco will see this.

I have Cisco PI 1.3 installed as a VM on Cisco UCS B200 M2 hardware.

I've tested the install on both Dell EqualLogic SAN and SSD hard drives.  It still takes an incredibly long time to boot up.

It always "stalls" on this part:

-------------------------

Kernel alive

kernal direct mapping tables up to 240000000 @ 10000 -1a000

-------------------------

michaelburley73
Level 1
Level 1

It really takes a minimum of 20 minutes for ncs to start all the required services. Issue the "ncs start verbose" command at the prompt to see what's going on to be sent to the console screen. I am currently using Prime 2.1 virtual appliance and I'm still seeing this problem. I also confirmed this with Cisco TAC.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card