Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Soft Appliance not saving changes to syslog.conf

robert.kerns95
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm having an issue with the syslog.conf file on a Cisco Prime LMS 4.2.4 soft appliance with a Solaris base.  My workplace uses local4 as the logging facility for its network devices, and according to a discussion I found on this site, I need to add the line:

local4.info  /var/log/syslog_info

I have attempted this several times; we're approaching at least 5 attempts today.  I have attached text files created from putty logs where I've attempted to make the necessary change.  I appreciate any assistance the community can provide.

Regards,

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert,

This is a BUG ..

Apply this Workaround and hope that will take care of the issue:

Include the Syslog information in the /opt/CSCOpx/conf/syslog-entries.txt

Run the "write mem" in the sysadmin console.

Thanks-

Afroz

[Do rate the useful post]

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert,

This is a BUG ..

Apply this Workaround and hope that will take care of the issue:

Include the Syslog information in the /opt/CSCOpx/conf/syslog-entries.txt

Run the "write mem" in the sysadmin console.

Thanks-

Afroz

[Do rate the useful post]

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Hi, Afroz,

I really appreciate your assistance, but I'm afraid my hopes have been dashed.  The syslog.conf reverted to its original configuration.  I will go through my steps to be sure that I understood your suggestion properly.

I edited the syslog.conf to put all messages from local4 in /opt/CSCOpx/conf/syslog-entries.txt.  Then, I exited the shell to the console, issued the 'write mem' command, and closed the session.  Upon my reconnection, I found that my changes to the syslog.conf were not saved.

Did I make the correct edits in the correct places?  Another question, is this bug present in the versions of Prime LMS running Linux and/or Windows, or does it only exist in the soft appliance running Solaris?

Regards,

Rob

Edit:

I'm reading the "Installation and Migration of Cisco Prime" PDF, and it gives me the impression that Cisco Prime is only supported as Windows, Solaris, and soft appliance installations.  Is that correct?  If it is correct, then installation of Cisco Prime LMS is not supported on other Linux distros such as Ubuntu Server, CentOS, Fedora, etc.?

My thanks.

Hi, Afroz,

I definitely appreciate your assistance, now that I understand what you were having me do.  It fixed the problem.

I added "local4.*  /var/log/syslog_info" to the syslog-entries.txt, backed out of the shell, did a "write mem," and it saved the changes.

For whatever reason, your isntructions didn't click for me yesterday when I read your reply.

Many, many thanks, sir.

Regards,

Rob

jmckay0426
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Afroj,

We found this tip and it fixed my issue with making changes permanent in syslog.conf too. 

Thank you,

John

Glad to hear John..

Thanks-

Afroz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: