Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Upgrade from 3.0.0.0.78 to 3.9

Hello there,

I need to perform an upgrade for Cisco Prime Infrastructure from 3.0.0.0.78 to 3.9.

It is definitely not possible to do this upgrade directly.

I have read the official documentation Cisco Prime Quickstart 3.9.

I can imagine the following upgrading path :

step 1- Upgrade from 3.0.0.78 to 3.1 with in-line upgrade (supported)

step 2 - Then from 3.1 to 3.7  with inline upgrade (supported)

step 3 - And finally from 3.7 to 3.9 with inline upgrade (OR restore backup with a new fresh install 3.9).

I have checked the upgraded version compatibility in each step.

What is scaring me is the following information that I have found in quickstart 3.9 :

"If your existing Prime Infrastructure is 3.7.x or 3.8.x, and your upgrade path contains 3.4.x or earlier versions, then you cannot in-line upgrade that server to Prime Infrastructure 3.9 due to security vulnerabilities in the underlying Red Hat 6 installation. You will need to take a backup of the Prime Infrastructure 3.7.x or 3.8.x server, deploy a fresh Prime Infrastructure 3.9 server, and restore that backup into the Prime Infrastructure 3.9 server."

My questions are :

1) During step 3 will i need to do a restore backup involving to do a fresh 3.9 install ?

2) Is it possible to create directly a new 3.9 install and do a restore backup of the 3.0.0.0.78 (compatibility issue of database) ?

Mentionning the fact that I am new on this technology.

Thank you for reading and future answers.

Best regards,

David.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think it would be a lot easier if you just backup your PI DB, stand up a new PI 3.9 instance and then import the old DB.  

Hello Leo,
Thanks for your answer.
I was thinking about this solution too, but as the version 3.0.0.78 is kinda old, I was wondering if the 3.9 PI will accept this old DB.
Anyway I will probably give it a try since creating a new VM with PI 3.9 and importing the old DB has no impact.
Regards,
David
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: