Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Upgrade from 3.7 to 3.9 - Error upgrade path is not valid

Beacon Bits
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm upgrading Cisco Prime from 3.7 version to 3.9 version. 

This is valid upgrade path mentioned in Cisco documentation.

"

How to Upgrade From Previous Releases of Prime Infrastructure

You can upgrade the following versions of Prime Infrastructure to 3.9:

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.8.1

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.8 Update 02

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.8

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.7.1 Update 04

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.7.1

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.7 Update 03

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.7

" https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-9/quickstart/guide/bk_Cisco_Prime_Infrastructure_3_9_0_Quick_Start_Guide.html#task_1070867

When I upgrade it generates an error at Stage 3:

"[ERROR] This  upgrade path is not supported, Please do a fresh installation of Prime Infrastructure 3.9 and restore either Prime Infrastructure 3.7 or 3.8 version backup. Refer the Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.8 Administrator Guide section Backup and Restore."

I then tried to upgrade to 3.8 version but still the same error with the different version.

"[ERROR] This  upgrade path is not supported, Please do a fresh installation of Prime Infrastructure 3.9 and restore either Prime Infrastructure 3.6 or 3.7 version backup. Refer the Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.8 Administrator Guide section Backup and Restore."

Any help much appreciated!

Regards,

B

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have done quite bit of upgrades recently for testing : (i never had any success of 3.7 to 3.9 ( may be others not in the community i see teh success)

Because of below 

If your existing Prime Infrastructure is 3.7.x or 3.8.x, and your upgrade path contains 3.4.x or earlier versions, then you cannot in-line upgrade that server to Prime Infrastructure 3.9 due to security vulnerabilities in the underlying Red Hat 6 installation. You will need to take a backup of the Prime Infrastructure 3.7.x or 3.8.x server, deploy a fresh Prime Infrastructure 3.9 server, and restore that backup into the Prime Infrastructure 3.9 server.

So take 2 backups safe side application back and appliance backup, any License please backup if you don't have any.

Install new 3.9 PI and restore.

Note: if you have not done this before this upgrade, taking back up from PI 3.7 take easily up to 6 hours depends on the size of the data.

Installation and restoration of 3.9 take up to 10 hours.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Karl Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

As  balaji.bandi says. Do a fresh install, patch and update and restore your backup. I was in a similar position a few weeks back and asked the same question here

Hi,

I did appliance backup of 3.7 and fresh install 3.9 with all updates and patches. 

Once I entered command: restore "mybackup_appliance3.7" repository defaultRepo ( or remoteFTP), 

I got following error:

Inititating restore. Please wait...

Backup file is an Appliance backup from an unsupported version. Please retry restore with PI 3.9 version appliance backup.

% System restore failed

Do you have any ideas how to solve this issue?

You need to restore application backup not applance backup :

• Application backups—These contain Prime Infrastructure application data but do not include host-specific settings, such as the server hostname and IP address.
  • Appliance backups—These contain all application data and host-specific settings, including the hostname, IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

BB

Karl Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

What command did you run to backup the application?

Karl Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

backup filename repository repositoryName application NCS

Did you do this?

huy.nguyen.ext
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for quick reply.

I try "backup filename repository repositoryName application NCS", and it looks to be running now.

yes that is rigth way to take backup and restore.

BB