Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router Clock

cwy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have configured NTP in my router, and it can sync the time with the time server. However, when the power is being reload or power off and on, the time of the log which recorded the reload or shutdown events shown the incorrect system clock. May I know is there any command to correct the time?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's gotta be one of these lines:

ntp update-calendar

clock timezone EST -05

clock summer-time EDT recurring

service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime

service timestamps log datetime msec localtime

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am I correct in understanding that you have configured NTP and that in normal operating circumstances you have correct time in the log messages. And am I correct that the issue you are asking about is the time stamp in the messages while the router is booting up?

If my understanding is correct than the answer is that the behavior is model dependent. Some models of routers have an internal clock and will remember the time correctly during a reboot. And some models of routers do not have an internal clock. These routers lose the time when they power down or are rebooted. When they boot up they have an incorrect understanding of the time and that is reflected in the time stamp of the log messages. After the router is booted and on line it will sync with the NTP server and will once again have the correct time.

Since it is model dependent I do not think that there is anything that you can do about it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

You have pointed out what I wanted to ask. Thanks!