cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router - Transferring File to Flash Using Kermit / Xmodem / Ymodem

TW80CJ5
Level 3
Level 3

Has anyone ever transferred a file from a computer to flash? I am wanting to transfer a router config to a router in the field.

There is no http/ scp / tftp option.

Thoughts ? Suggestions?

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what Model of therouter - if they are latest they have USB facility.

or you can use below steps :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/15085-xmodem-generic.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

TW80CJ5
Level 3
Level 3

Hey BB! Thanks for the input....

Due to security reasons, the client does not want the use of USB inf the field.

We are using ISR 4431

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't recall ever doing it for a router, but I have, on couple of occasions, loaded an IOS image on 3750 switches via the console port and using XModem.

Even when you set the console port to its maximum speed, it takes a while, often a long while, to load a typical IOS sized image (which, generally, continue to increase in size with newer releases).

You may also find, the Cisco device won't support the "best" performing data file transfer protocols.

The load time is so long, I would often try to find the "smallest" IOS image I could find so that I could boot the 3750 into it and use something like TFTP to load the IOS I really wanted to use.

I would suggest it would be better to have a discussion, about security, with your client.  In my experience, many don't truly understand computer security and either are too lax or too stringent.  Possibly your client is in the latter group.

BTW, a couple of security "stories" I like to tell.  Years ago, in one large corporate (Windows) network, they insured there was no account named "administrator".  This because, it made it more "difficult" to attack such a key account.

So, one day, I sent the DC chief a list of all the user accounts that had "administrator" privilege (NB: which I did not have myself).  After getting over his shock, he asked how I obtained this list.  I said, easy, I just wrote a small program, making a LANMAN call, asking for all the user accounts in the "administrator" group.

Or, at the same company, I remember when they activated the feature that all passwords had to have both upper and lower case.  I said, you do know that if, when logging onto the network, you declare yourself a down level client, i.e. prior to Windows NT, the logon process will ignore letter case?  Of course, you can enable a feature disallowing down level clients, but then all your Windows clients, not yet Windows NT (at the time about 99.9%) won't be able to log on.

The point of these two stories isn't that what was done was bad, only that the changes didn't really add as much additional security as many thought they did.

Likewise, possibly, your client's desire to avoid on-net file transfers and/or local USB file transfers, might be based on not using them makes their devices much more secure and/or using them cannot be done without making the devices much less secure.

Joseph....

I couldnt agree with you more. In this specific case, I only need to transfer a running config.txt or .cfg of approx 100 KB from the laptop to the device.

The use of USB's for file transfers is strictly forbidden. I know I can set up a local scp server on the laptop and transfer, but this work requires a lot of additional configuration for a person that is providing remote site support that is not technical. 

I am wanting to transfer a router config to a router in the field.
I only need to transfer a running config.txt or .cfg of approx 100 KB from the laptop to the device. 

why not paste config to console , what is the difficulties here ? if you not able to use USB/ FTP/ SCP/ SFTP ? (what options you have other copy and paste on console?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Well BB, thats what I am trying to figure out...I know I can copy and paste into the console, but was hoping to transfer the config to flash and set to start and reboot...

I do firmware upgrades to routers, switches, WLC using HTTP or TFTP.  

There is a way but it will all boil down to what is allowed by the strict security policy.

Ah, well a config file, say of 100K, shouldn't be a problem for something like XModem.

The only possible issues that come to mind, first, for console file transfers, I think you need to boot the device into RMON.  Second, don't recall whether console file transfers support all device media.  However, even if not, you should be able to upload to flash and reboot (if needed?) and then copy the flash loaded image to where you need it.

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, i copied ios to/from cisco 800 routers via xmodem/ymodem - its very slow. As i remember, it took about 24 hours to download/upload ios.

TW80CJ5
Level 3
Level 3

We went back to leadership and ended up staging a laptop to send to the field with an SCP Server installed on it (options that didnt initially exist). We also configured a script for the field support person to copy and paste into CLI to set it up.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card