cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Routers/Switch Uptime

SMK91
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any recommended time period that we have to reload the routers and switches. I means is it impact to the performance with the memory garbage with huge uptimes..?

Please advice..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@SMK91 wrote:
Is there any cisco doc that mentioning this kind of behaviors..?

None whatsoever.  

Let me put it this way, one can leave their appliances with an uptime of >1 year, however, if I meet a situation when something abnormal is happening in the network and everything points to this appliance with a >1 year, then my first recommendation is to reboot.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on Model and design of the network, nature of business.

if business has 24/7 continuty we expect to be HA mode all device, so recent phase of relases and security you need to apply patches when required (not like old days for years) - since most of the device exposed for hackers.

1-2 years reload is good idea (again depends on downtime accept for business and design)

I have seen some core with HA, has 10 years + uptime does not mean all case same,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji-
Thanks for the reply

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't leave anything running with an uptime of >1 year.

Hi Leo,
Thanks for the reply

- Hi Leo and Balaji -

Not that i aware that documented any where, it is by experiehnce for better performance. and proactivly manage the network o improve to performance. rather expect downtime for un expected reason.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@SMK91 wrote:

None whatsoever.  

Let me put it this way, one can leave their appliances with an uptime of >1 year, however, if I meet a situation when something abnormal is happening in the network and everything points to this appliance with a >1 year, then my first recommendation is to reboot.