cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPAN

tedauction
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am troubleshooting a TCP connection problem between client and server that traverses an intermediary switch.

I have wireshark capturing traffic on both ends. I also have SNMP traffic / interface monitoring of each relevant switchport on the network path.

My question is, will a span of the traffic from the intermediary switch to a different wireshark machine reveal anything more than I what I have already ? i.e. is spanning traffic worthwhile in this situation, or am I already covering all bases regarding network monitoring ?

Thanks for any advice.

3 Replies 3

Javier Acuña
Spotlight
Spotlight

saludos estimado es importante tener en consideración todos los puntos por donde pasa el trafico, es decir si el servidor posee una o dos Nick, si la interface trunk que hace conexión al dispositivo es una sola o son varias, es importante tener claro todo el Diseño de la red, si es una estructura de núcleo colapsado o si es una red Jerárquica mi recomendación es que cubras todas las interfaces de la ruta de transmisión y ahí sabrás si se esta entregando el paquete o no.

Recuerda darle a la estrella esto fomenta seguir participando

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if you handing off SPAN to another switch, then you need to configure RSPAN. post example config on both the switch and tell us where that Wireshark device connected to capture the traffic.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

pmckenzie
Level 3
Level 3

Implementing SPAN on your intermediary switch will separate out the VLAN traffic you are already capturing with Wireshark on both interfaces. Wireshark will provide you with much more detail. It really depends on what you are looking for.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold" Dr Who