Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000 console to laptop

mrjelly
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to connect to the console port of my cisco vpn concentrator 3000. My putty configuration is what the cisco technical doc suggests. I have a female rs232 to usb to use one of the virtual COM ports on my laptop, however I am not having any success getting a display at all, just a blank putty terminal.

I have also tried some default IP address connected with an rj45 cable and on the same network

additionally I have used arp windows command line to add an arp entry for the private and public nics and go to the web portal.

I have also tried reseting the unit

can anyone help please?

thank you

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I don't think you will need any ip/arp settings for the rs232 connection. Make sure that traditional defaults are used in Putty , such as speed 9600 etc. Also power up the VPN Concentrator and during that power-up tap the space bar in Putty. Check if this helps.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for your response,
I wasn't clear, I meant I had tried arp settings as an alternative to configure it through a web portal, I'll try the space bar but I have tried enter to wake it.
I didn't know if there is a difference between a crossover and straight through rs232 to USB. I gather the vpn concentrator needs a straight through cable

- Depends how we use these terms, but it;s not like an Ethernet cable where usually auto MDIX is used these days  ; in the serial-protocol I believe TX and RX should 'cross' each other somewhere in between....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

to confirm the cable type see the FAQ  section password recovery question

connect a PC to the console port of the VPN Concentrator using a straight-through RS-232 serial cable

Hi Yes I think the thing I'm unsure of is as everything else appears right, could it be that my usb to rs232 is not straight through but with a usb to rs232 I'm not sure if there is a difference or how to check thank you
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: