Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 3504 does not respond after setup

13e7
Level 1
Level 1

I followed the instruction to set up 

Deploying WLC 3504 through Service Port

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_WLC_3504_Release_8_5_Deployment_Guide.html

I set up everything following the instruction, connected AIR-CAP 3602I-A-K9

after completing the cofig  and when I hit apply, it reboots but the SSID is not broadcasting, the AP blinks green 

I connected to WLC directly via LAN port also but no internet connection or I can't access the WLC  through the WLC management IP I set up and IP config does not return the Default Gateway IP address. 

I am not sure what to do I rebooted and put it to default status but no resolution. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/3500/3504/install-guide/b-wlc-ig-3504/installing-cisco-3504-wlc.html

Connecting the Controller Console Port

Caution

Do not connect a Power over Ethernet (PoE) cable to the console port. Doing so might damage the controller.

Note

Install the USB device driver before establishing a physical connection between the router and the PC using the USB Console cable plugged into the USB serial port, otherwise the connection will fail.

Procedure

Step 1

Perform either of the following tasks:

• Connect the end of the console cable with the RJ-45 connector to the console port on the controller.
  • Connect a Mini-B USB cable to the Mini-B USB console port. If you are using the USB serial port for the first time on a Windows-based computer, ensure that you have installed the USB driver.
Note 

It is not possible to to use both the Mini-B USB console port and the CPU console port concurrently. If both the ports are connected, the USB port takes precedence over the CPU console port.

Step 2

Connect the end of the cable with the DB-9 connector (or USB Type-A) to the terminal or PC. If your terminal or PC has a console port that does not accommodate a DB-9 connector, you must provide an appropriate adapter for that port.

Step 3

To communicate with the controller, start a terminal emulator application. This software should be configured with the following parameters:

• 9600 baud

• 8 data bits

• No parity

• No flow control

• 1 stop bit

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Connect the serial console and post the complete boot-up sequence here.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

The problem I connect to the serial port, and I can't ping the WLC. 

I used the management IP to ping and open the GUI on a browser It does not resolve,

I may have to add one more info, I am pretty new at this

- So you say the serial port is not working ? 

M.

How do I use the serial port? do I need an application or does it open a GUI? 

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/3500/3504/install-guide/b-wlc-ig-3504/installing-cisco-3504-wlc.html

Connecting the Controller Console Port

Caution

Do not connect a Power over Ethernet (PoE) cable to the console port. Doing so might damage the controller.

Note

Install the USB device driver before establishing a physical connection between the router and the PC using the USB Console cable plugged into the USB serial port, otherwise the connection will fail.

Procedure

Step 1

Perform either of the following tasks:

• Connect the end of the console cable with the RJ-45 connector to the console port on the controller.
  • Connect a Mini-B USB cable to the Mini-B USB console port. If you are using the USB serial port for the first time on a Windows-based computer, ensure that you have installed the USB driver.
Note 

It is not possible to to use both the Mini-B USB console port and the CPU console port concurrently. If both the ports are connected, the USB port takes precedence over the CPU console port.

Step 2

Connect the end of the cable with the DB-9 connector (or USB Type-A) to the terminal or PC. If your terminal or PC has a console port that does not accommodate a DB-9 connector, you must provide an appropriate adapter for that port.

Step 3

To communicate with the controller, start a terminal emulator application. This software should be configured with the following parameters:

• 9600 baud

• 8 data bits

• No parity

• No flow control

• 1 stop bit

your idea helped I was able to see the log and use PUTTY to setup the WLC

exactly as the instruction https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_WLC_3504_Release_8_5_Deployment_Guide.html#concept_E7054E9C0E404657A6E5C7F6D1EDA9A4

but when it s done after  reboots I don't see the SSID being broadcasted or when I directly connected via Ethernet cable I don't see the default IP address, not connected to internet and I can't open the GUI

Why does it goes all the way through setting and refuse to open GUI, 

I don not know what to do with the commands

I have 4 access points and I tried to connect them 1 by one and tried each none of them gave me any hope

Thank you for all your help so far and I would like to see if there is any thing I need to do after the the GUI settup

- So you say you can't use the   GUI ? What happens then ? Which specific errors are seen ? etc 

M.

Hi, 

You can restore access via GUI by trying following CLI commands.

//access via https

config interface dhcp service-port disable

config interface address service-port 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

config network secure web enable

// access via http

Config interface dhcp service-port disable

Config interface address service-port 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

Config network webmode enable