Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoview not displaying statistics while monitoring

craig5571
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm running LMS 2.5 cs30sp1, rme4.01, cm4.01, cv6.1sp1 , w2ksp4 and when I goto Ciscoview, for a switch (3750 for example) right click on monitor, interface and set the interval for say 10 seconds, the statistics don't show up all the counters are flat lined, I have also tried this on a 4006 and a 6506. Oddly enough everything works fine on a 3745 the counters move just fine. My question is where does ciscoview get its information to make the counters move , maybe something I need to turn on?

I'm totally current on the latest version of LMS and have all the current device packages for ciscoview.

can someone please help..

thanks

11 Replies 11

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

CiscoView gets the statistics via SNMP.

10 seconds might be a little aggressive for the switches, does it work fine if it's set to 30 seconds?

it doesn't work at all, no matter what I set it to..

the counters are all not moving... thats the whole problem is that the counters aren't doing anything

Interesting. It's either an snmp issue on the device(s) or an issue with CiscoView polling.

Best thing to do would be to enable the CiscoView debugs and check what CV is polling and what the devices are responding with

ok, I'll try that..

how do I enable the debugs? thanks!

hi...

u can also diagnose this in a simple manner...install a protocol analyser like etherdetect or ethereal which is free to download and catpture the packet flow...so that u can see the packet flow between Ciscoworks server and devices...u can see the snmp packets...this way u can be sure whether it is an snmp issue,whether polling is actually taking place or not,whether the device respond to polling or not and lot more...

rgds

shiju

Nadim,

Could I use packet capture from device center? (winpcap) between the ciscoworks box and one of my switches that is having the problems? is there anything special that needs to be setup on the switches in order for ciscoworks to monitor them?

thanks

in the first step I would turn on debugging on the switch for snmp.

Telnet to the switch, go into ena mode and type "term mon", then "debug snmp ?" and you will see what special kind of snmp debug the switch supports. Turn on what you want (or all). Log the telnet session to a file and start Monitoring in CV. After a few polls you can anaylze the log file of your telnet session. This usually gets you some good infos.

Martin

What snmp commands need to be on the 3750, in order for ciscoview to monitor it? I have the community strings set with..

snmp-server community ******* ro

snmp-server community ******* rw (passwords deleted)

snmp-server host x.x.x.x public ( should the ro community string go here?) we don't use public as a community string so i'm wondering why this is in there?

what should the format of the snmp-server host x.x.x.x command be?

basically , What I'm asking is what snmp commands need to be in the config in order for ciscoworks to monitor the device in ciscoview.

I went to one of my 3750 switches and typed

term mon, debug snmp sessions ( is this the right debug command to use?) then I started monitoring with CV , my question is where does the debugging info go ?i have the following statements in the config

logging trap debugging

logging x.x.x.x (ciscoworks ip address)

I would think it would goto the place as defined by the logging command

here is a good link to troubleshoot your problem from point of CiscoView:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps4565/products_qanda_item09186a0080094477.shtml

on the switch "debug snmp packet" shows every snmp packet sent or received by the switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008007ff87.html#wp3998

snmp-server host x.x.x.x -> sets the snmp notification host, the one that recieves traps or informs

if you define a community string after the IP address, this string can be used as a read-only community (as I know it depends on IOS version if this one overwrites the ro-string defined by "snmp-server community yyyy ro" or if it exists beside)

so keep it simple, define your community string as you did and replace the "snmp-server host x.x.x.x puplic" with "snmp-server host x.x.x.x"

with "show logging" you see the logging levels set for each logging type (console, buffer, etc.) and if it states "monitor logging: level debugging", so debugging messages are sent to you monitoring session (which is your telnet session when you issue a "term mon" on the switch you are connected to via telnet session)

the command "logging trap debugging" -> should send debugging info to the defined logging server

Dont´t forget to check the snmp strings CiscoView uses: open CiscoView , on the left bottom you see a "Preferences" there you can set the strings CiscoView uses.

HTH

Martin

I tried to take the public off the command . snmp-server host x.x.x.x public. but it wouldn't let me it said imcomplete command.

our actual command that is in there now is snmp-server host x.x.x.x public ( public is actually there)

should I take the whole command out? or put our RO community string in there?

All that is required for CiscoView is snmp-server community ******* ro

If you install WinPcap, you may use the Packet Capture utility from CiscoWorks (in Device Center)

If you have term mon, then the debugs will show up on your screen. The better one to enable is debug snmp packet

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: