cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 2.5 High Processor Utilisation

cbeswick
Level 1
Level 1

Our Ciscoworks LMS 2.5 is running on Windows 2003 Server, all patched to the latest with 4 GB of Memory and a Pentium 4 Xeon Processor.

The CPU is regularly hitting between 70-80%, sometimes maxing out at 100%.

I have checked all the processes and scheduled polls and nothing out of the ordinary is configured.

LMS is managing 370 devices.

Is this type of CPU utilisation normal for this system ?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

viswanathan123
Level 1
Level 1

Hai,

1.Are u running single or dual processor???

2.click task manager and analyse the processes which process is using more CPU utilization...

let me know we will fix it

Regards

Hi,

The server is using a single Pentium 4 Xeon Processor with 2MB Cache.

The tomcat process is using about 260,000kb of memory. I haven't been able to discover which process is eating up processor cycles yet, but I am putting my money on tomcat.

I should hopefully have some info on the process side of things soon.

Did you (or can you) enable Hyperthreading? This helped enormously with ours which have about 450 devices each (although we still upgraded both our boxes to 2 CPU's). Also, be sure not to login to CW on the server console, as a lot of java components don't shut down properly when exiting, and it eats up system resources quickly.

Hi All,

Hyperthreading is enabled.

We have discovered that it is the Java.exe process that is eating up the CPU. It is hitting 70-80% CPU every day.

Also, because we use Insight Management Software, ASR (automatic system reboots) are occuring, as the software "thinks" that the OS is unresponsive and a crash has occured. Obviously we can change this timeout in the OS from the default 10 mins to another setting, but this doesnt get around the fact that something strange is happening to the CPU utilisation.

I thought that I had overspecced the server adequately enough to cope with LMS 2.5, seems I was wrong ??

After checking the server, it hits +80% sometimes 100% during polling of the network.

We have 400 devices in total and the process that it reaching peak cpu is cwjava.exe

Does this seem normal considering that the server has 4GB memory and a Pentium 4 Xeon ?

Is there anything I can do to tweak the server or do I need to upgrade to dual processor ?

HI,

After some more investigations, it looks like the "sm_server" process is eating up most of the CPU.

It hits about 60% CPU utilistation, with cwjava.exe taking, and tomcat taking the rest.

I still think this is unusually high considering the server specs.

Would having 4GB memory be having any adverse effects ? As we know that Windows 2003 server is only capable of using 2GB ?

Any help appreciated.

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Aside from JVM eating processor, the biggest culprit of CPU is the ANI server if you have the full suite installed. You can toss all the memory you want at it and it won't help thanks to windows being so inefficient at memory management, You can however add CPU's and it will help alot. I've got a test installation limping along on quad P4's and 4GB of memory with about 2,500 devices in the inventory. Not bad with only 1 concurrent user and it almost keeps up for all applications. My production clusters however are composed of four 64 bit sun solaris servers each.

jwmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I was finding the same thing -- high CPU with LMS 2.5. I downloaded Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html and found out that both IBM Director and Tivoli were running on the box. Between LMS, Director, and Tivoli, memory requirements were so high that page faults were going through the ceiling. I stopped Director and Tivoli, and things are now CPU use is back to the sane level. I'm probably going to up memory from 1.5G.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco