cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 server sizing (DFM not working )

vaibhav.gurav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using CiscoWorks LMS 2.6 (outdated I know) to manage a network consisting of nearly 3000 devices . Please refer the screenshots of the devices being managed under RME, CM and DFM. For the past few days we are facing issues with notifications  and SNMP trap forwarding from DFM . Many of our devices go into DFM questioned mode (others). We are not getting email notifications/snmp trap forwarding  of all devices.We are also getting null email notifications . Is this related to server load issue?. I have also attached the server specs below. I have tried reinitializing the DFM database .

Another strange occurence I have observed now is that all devices suddenly move to learning mode .

Hardware configuration

Dual Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz

Memory 4 GB

Regards

Vijay Sequeira

4 Replies 4

Robert Pavone
Level 1
Level 1

Vijay,

That is a lot of devices for DFM to discover, as DFM is a fairly process intensive application.  I usually advise customers to not automatically import ALL devices into DFM at once.  Import incrementally so DFM can keep up.  Here is a troubleshooting step from the DFM Help file on how to respond to "stcuk" Learning devices:

1. For Learning Devices, locate the Data Collector Status information at the bottom of the Item Information field.
  2. If the Discovery Progress percentage does not change in a reasonable amount of time. This is 10 minutes for a single device import and 3 hours for a 1,500-device bulk import:
  1. Verify that the Common Services EssMonitor process (which handles distribution of events between processes) is running:
    • From the Common Services home page, select Server > Reports > Process Status, and click Generate.
    • Verify that the ESSMonitor process is running normally.
    • If it is not, stop and start it using Server > Admin > Processes.

2. If the device is in the DCR but not in DFM, do the following:
    • Verify that the DFM InventoryCollector process is running by selecting Server > Reports > Process Status from the Common Services home page, and clicking Generate.
    • Verify that the TISServer process is running normally.
    • If it is not, stop and restart it using Server > Admin > Processes.

3. Check the Discovery Progress percentage on the Rediscover/Delete Devices page, and select Server > Admin > Processes from the Common Services home page.
  4. The Process Management page opens.

• If the percentage is equal to or less than 69%, stop and start the inventory Interactor process.
    • If the percentage is equal to or greater than 70%, stop and start the DFMOGSServer process

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hello Robert,

All the processes are working properly. I tried rediscovery of the devices in batches (less than 100 device)initially there are devices in Known, Learning and questioned . The devices in known status start increasing but after an hour again all devices move back to learning /questioned mode.

Regards

Vijay Sequeira

Vijay,

If you have newer Cisco devices on the network make sure DFM suports them.  Devices in learning and questioned state sometimes indicates that DFM does NOT support the Cisco device.

Refer to the DFM Device Compatibility information on CCO for device support for you DFM version: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/cscowork/ps2421/products_device_support_tables_list.html

Rob

Hi,

Most of my deices are stuck in DFM questioned mode (other ) And all of them have the below error codes. This problem has started recently . There are not any new classes/types of devices added recently . Only recent addition has been the increase in the number of devices added to CW monitoring

IP Address                 = 10.212.15.20
DNS Name                  = 10.212.15.20
Device Status             = Questioned
Device Type               = N/A
Aliases                       = N/A
Containments              = N/A
DFM Processing          = N/A
Time Last Discovered = N/A
Import Time Stamp       = 14-Jan-2011 10:39:23

*** Data Collector Status Information ***
Error Code                   = Others
Error Message             = DataCollector request timeout(internal problem)

Regards

Vijay Sequeira